Provide a "branding removal" optional add-on

Related products: CC Customization

I’m quite a fan of the Branded Templates myself and I’m perfectly cool with the “Powered by insided” banner at the bottom of every page, but I can also understand that not everyone likes that. And I also respect the fact that some people might want to remove it… Preferably without risk of a ToS breach.

But section 5.3 doesn’t say anything about inSided doing the modification. :wink:

I’ve seen a few forum software options where you can purchase an optional “branding removal” add-on that permits removal of the “powered by” branding either automatically or allows you to flip the switch on and off freely. It is a paid add-on in those cases, but is a way to allow a customer to remove the branding while remaining compliant with the EULA on the basis that purchasing the add-on grants access to a built-in feature which allows the branding to be turned on/off as desired.

This might be worth having as an optional extra for inSided. I would prefer for it to be an optional paid add-on rather than it being default, given that the branding is reasonably unobtrusive and is very commonly used across most platforms - and is definitely not as horrible to the eye as certain other platforms like Khorus!

It’s hopefully a best of both worlds solution to this thread that will make everyone happy too. :)

Updated idea status NewOpen

Hello @Blastoise186 thanks for this detailed idea :) I'm very curious to see who would be interested by such an option, I will leave it open to gather some votes

Thanks!

In that case, I’m pretty confident it will rapidly attract attention from @Scott Baldwin and @security_lion as they sparked me to create this Idea.

I personally don’t mind the branding myself, but in recognition of allowing choice while remaining ToS compliant, I always think it’s nice to have options, just in case.

Upvoted, thank you @Blastoise186 !

Interested, but often don’t see this as a paid capability -- it’s simply something negotiated during the contract. In our case we worked around it with CSS, but it’s not ideal.

For those of us that like to audit our sites using Lighthouse it might also be nice to add a rel=noopener or similar to address Google’s concerns.

https://web.dev/external-anchors-use-rel-noopener/?utm_source=lighthouse&utm_medium=devtools