The API documentation needs improving significantly

• 11 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

I’m afraid I am somewhat frustrated after spending the best part of half a day building something to find that the API docs do not give anywhere near enough information. 

Take a look at this….

https://api2-eu-west-1.insided.com/docs/community/#tag/ProductUpdates/operation/createProductUpdate

My intention was to load our Product Updates with a load of backdated content published elsewhere. I can get the majority of the data from scraping a page, tweak it in the admin console, then publish. I got all of that working and then I find out that there is no way to add a retrospective date. There is literally a “createdAt” field you can post. It is NOT required. So, the natural assumption is that if it is not provided, the date will be the date it lands via the service. If it is provided, then that date will be used. What happens? The date is ignored as far as the UI is concerned and you are left with the publish date showing.

Had the “createdAt” date been explained, I may not have wasted a day on this and I may not have suggested to my team that it should be possible to achieve our requirement.

What is the point of this field if it does nothing? WHY is your documentation so limited?

Does anyone have any workarounds that would allow me to achieve this? I have already looked at the InSidedData JSON to see if I can use that force a different date on the post. I *could* do to the extremes of publishing the date in the text, removing that dynamically after it has loaded and replacing the date that is returned with the date I have just removed from the text….but that is a ridiculous way to go if there is an easier way.

2 replies

Hi @rhall - There is a kludgy way to backdate Product Updates via API. I’m note sure if it’s still supported. DM me and I’ll share what I know. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks Dave, I’ve DM’d you.