Solved

csv Export of Segment: What is the logic behind "Last activity" & "Last visit"?

• 30 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

When pulling a segment csv export I have 2 columns, I don’t understand what they stand for. 
Q: What is meant by “last activity”?
Q: What is meant with “last visit”? (Last visit is before last activity.) 

In the segments overview “Last activity” is defined as when someone last viewed something on the Communtiy platform: 

As only a few members have entered a “Last visit” timestamp. For many it is empty and I don’t understand why. The first date timestamps are years old, so it doesn’t seem like this functionality was added recently and only applies since.

I have exported the csv from a segment in order to find out who registered and never came back after registration day, and we have lost early on in their Member Journey. 

Best, 
Lena

icon

Best answer by Kenneth R 8 May 2024, 13:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @Lena H. - great questions, as I know these can be a little tricky.  ‘Last activity’ is indeed the last time somebody did something in the community - let’s just say it’s viewing a page, as that happens alongside any other activity.  ‘Last visit’ is the last time there was a login.  As a login takes some time to expire, this timestamp can be quite different from ‘last activity’, and is always an earlier timestamp (as you always log in before you have an activity). 

In some cases you might indeed find the ‘last visit’ timestamp to be blank - that’s because this timestamp is only captured when there’s a further action taken (e.g. a login or a post) after initial registration.  You should see in your exports that those users with a blank ‘last visit’ timestamp didn’t do anything in the community yet after registering.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, @Kenneth R

Then I have used the correct Data set. :)

Also interesting to know that when “Last visit” is empty, the person never became active again after the initial registration. - This is much faster than my Excel formulas. :) 

Best, 
Lena