How To Create A Badge

• 5 December 2017
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1

Everyone likes their contributions to be recognised. Creating a stylish set of badges is a great way to reward individual members, and to show off your community's flair.

Badges come in two flavours: Automatic & Manual. Automatic badges are handed out to community members when they reach certain levels of activity in the community. Manual badges can be handed out the community team or via API.

To start with, we’ll go through the steps to create a single badge to reward members who answer a question in a ‘Teleportation’ category.

How To Create An Automatic Badge (based on community activity)

1. Sign into Control as an Administrator or Community Manager.
  2. Go to Control → Gamification → BadgesAdd Badge
  3. Add a fun Title and Description.
  4. Set the badge type to ‘Automatic badge’.
  5. Add a high-quality Image to use as your badge icon.
    • Badges should preferably fit in a square canvas (same height and width).
    • We use one image for showing a badge throughout the platform.
    • Badges should still be recognizable when they are displayed small.
    • The smallest default size is 20x20 px.
    • On profile pages, badges are shown bigger. By default, this is 45x45 px.

6. Define the Rules for a community member to receive the badge (in our example, minimum amount of answers = 1).
  7. (Optional) Choose the categories (community/knowledge base) or modules (ideation/product updates) within which you want to limit the rules of the badge under ‘Where this applies’ (in our case, we want to limit it to the ‘Teleportation’ subcategory).
  8. Hit Save Changes, and you’re done.

How To Create A Manual Badge (awarded via Control or API)

1. Sign into Control as an Administrator or Community Manager.
  2. Go to Control → Gamification → BadgesAdd Badge
  3. Add a fun Title and Description.
  4. Set the badge type to ‘Manual badge’.
  5. Add a high-quality Image to use as your badge icon.
  6. Hit Save Changes, and you’re done.

See this tutorial for information on how to award a manual badge in Control: 

https://community.insided.com/badges-109/setting-up-rewarding-and-revoking-manual-badges-1873

See our API documentation for more information on how to award a manual badge via API.

Notes:

• Set up an automatic badge with the wrong rules and need to revoke it from some users? Or accidentally awarded a manual badge to the wrong user? No problem. Go to the user’s profile in Control and revoke the badge from them.

• Content from categories that have the ‘exclude from gamification’ option set to true is not included when awarding badges.

• ​​​You can make automatic badges ‘inactive’ by setting them to manual (e.g. you could create ‘limited-edition’ automatic badges for specific campaigns or holidays - just make the badge manual when the event is over).

• ​​​​​​You can use GIFs for your badge icons. G. I. F.s. Your badges can be animated! We also support .png, .jpg, and .jpeg images.

• Topics/replies marked as spam or trashed are not taken into account when calculating badges. However, if a user achieves the criteria for a badge before the topics/replies are removed as spam or trashed, the badge will not be removed from them automatically.

27 replies

Badge
Cool! Is the .SVG fileformat supported? This format would scale nicely.
Userlevel 1
Cool! Is the .SVG fileformat supported? This format would scale nicely.

@Jurgen Thanks for your question. Unfortunately we don't current support .SVG files for badge icons. I've updated the How To with more information about the file formats we do currently support. 😌
Badge
What a bummer! Seeing as the Simyo Community does use the SVG-format for their badges, for example. SVG's are lightweight and, again, scale perfectly.

No idea why you're plugging the GIF option really, GIFS as badges would just bog down your forum because of their large size, I think.

Thanks for updating the How To.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for your feedback @Jurgen. SVGs would be cool - I'll make sure your feedback gets to the Product team.

Regarding GIFs - if you're performance-conscious, perhaps you could have a single, special animated badge, rather than animate all of them. Then your members would really want to get that badge.

Hi @Frank,

How do you configurate a birthday badge (e.g. to celebrate someone who has been a member for 1 year)

Thanks,

Tiou
Userlevel 1
Hi @Tiou - thanks for your question 😀,

I moved your post since it relates more to adding badges with certain rules, rather than notifications.

You can't currently configure a 'birthday badge' 🎂 with the self-service badges tool (i.e., a badge based on the age of a member's account on the community).

In the future, we'd like to expand the rules for badges, and having this one available would make sense.
@Frank OK, thanks for the info.
Hi! I see Simyo, Consumentenbond and Eneco all use .svg badges. Does this mean this format is supported now for all users of the new template?
You have a good eye 😉 but no not yet. These badges were all added before self-service badges, when our implementation team used to create badges manually.
Is it possible to make a badge for someone who's active in all subcategories?

I want to make an 'explorer' badge, for users who are active in every categorie.

I selected al our categories, and i choose minimum amount of comments: 2,

does that mean:

2 comments in each of those categories?

or

2 comments in the total of all those categories?
Hey Suzanne,

At the moment you can't add a badge for someone who has participated in every category.

If you select all categories, and choose a minimum of 2 comments, then the user will get the badge as soon as they've put two comments in any of the categories (even if its the same one).

But I'm sure in future we will be adding new ways to earn badges, so this could be a good suggestion for a way to earn a badge.

Hey guys! 

Is it possible to exclude specific roles from awarding badges… like moderators, admin, etc.? 

Badge

Hey @Selina  - do you mean exclude certain users from receiving a badge you’ve set up? Unfortunately we don’t currently offer that, although it sounds like a great idea! I’d recommend submitting an idea in our inSpired ideation category. 

We do have manual badges on the other end of the spectrum, which offer you a lot of control/flexibility but requires either manual work by a moderator (you can input a comma-separated list for awarding lots of users, up to 50 at a time), or an automated API integration.

Hey @daniel.boon,
we wanted to exclude our moderators, admins from receiving badges. 

Thank you for your quick response & the information!
I’ll submit it in the ideation part. 

Badge

Hi @Frank,

How do you configurate a birthday badge (e.g. to celebrate someone who has been a member for 1 year)

Thanks,

Tiou

I’d love to create these types of birthday badges to our community, but it doesn’t seem to be possible. Are there any plans on expanding the badge rules available? @Frank 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there,

What are the image specifications/spec recommendations for Badges?

There is one for ranks 

(Maximum file size: 5MB. Allowed image types: .jpg, .png, .gif. We recommend a minimum of 90*90px.)

but I couldn’t find any for Badges.

Any clue on how large / small the image should be?

Tagging  @matt enbar  as I’m not sure who’s in charge of answering these posts, as @Frank seems inactive lately

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Daniele Cmty

There is a handy Style guide put together by one of our UX Designers.

For badges it is recommended: 90 x 90.

In automatic badges, does “minimum amount of answers” refer only to replies that were selected as “best answer”? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In automatic badges, does “minimum amount of answers” refer only to replies that were selected as “best answer”? 

Yup!

“Replies” stands for # of comments by the user (in general)

“Answers” stands for # of user’s comments that were voted best answers

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for your feedback @Jurgen. SVGs would be cool - I'll make sure your feedback gets to the Product team.

Any update on this from 5 years go?  :)  I just got a request for SVG file support from one of my power users.

Badge

Notes:

• Topics/replies marked as spam or trashed are not taken into account when calculating badges. However, if a user achieves the criteria for a badge before the topics/replies are removed as spam or trashed, the badge will not be removed from them automatically.

What about archiving?

If a user achieves the criteria of posting in a certain category and the topics are moved to an archive category → will the badges be automatically removed?

Would love for an anniversary badges option to be added, please, @Frank cc: @olimarrio.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Would love for an anniversary badges option to be added, please, @Frank cc: @olimarrio.

Wouldn’t this be a “if registration date is greater than 363 days ago?”  Or you mean Member birthday?

Appreciate the reply, @juan.delrio. But, I don’t see that option in my backend. Am I missing something 🙂?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was thinking of a Rank.  the “Minimum age in seconds since registration”.

Then you can grant a role like “Award this badge on Monday” and manually award the badge.

Sorry for the confusion.