More filters and columns on the User overview

Related products: CC Users & Roles
More filters and columns on the User overview

Starting today, we’re rolling out a lot more filters on the User overview, which will allow you to slice-and-dice your user base and hone in on the users that are most interesting to you.

If you click on Filters on the User overview, you will be able to filter on:

• Primary role

• Custom role

• Last activity

• Last login

• Registration date

• Ranks

• Badges

• Topics

• Replies

• Groups

Also, we’re allowing you to show and hide the columns for these properties on the user overview, so you can decide which properties you see, and which you don’t.

Learn more about how all the filters work in more detail in our Knowledge Base article.

Use cases

Here’s some quick ways to get some interesting insights by using filters:

• Use the Registration date filter to find all users that signed up in the last 7 days to see who signed up recently, and to see how many people signed up

• Use the Last activity filter (which includes any activity, so also viewing a page) to see how many users were active in the last 30 days

• Use the Badge filter to see which users, and how many, have attained a certain badge

Of course, you can also combine filters to really drill down into your user base.

Release schedule

We’re doing a gradual rollout over the next couple of days, starting today. You’ll receive an in-app notification once they’re rolled out to your instance.

What’s next?

Being able to find interesting segments of users is one thing, but we want to take it further in the next improvements, which we’ll launch over the next few months:

• Filter on custom user profile fields
    Apart from filtering on all the platform properties, the most valuable information about your users is likely caught in the fields filled in during registration, or in the user’s profile page. That’s why we’ll expand the current filters with your own custom user profile fields.

• Create and save user segments
    Being able to filter is one thing, being able to save those filters as a segment is another. This will allow you to quickly open the same filters again, but also to track how many users are in one segment or the other (for instance, see the percentage of New users vs. Champions).

• Apply bulk actions to users
    After finding a specific segment of users, you’re likely to want to take an action on them (i.e. assign a role, add to a group, award a badge, etc.). Our new bulk actions will allow you to do just that, and make managing users less time consuming.

What are your power filters?

Which filters, or combinations of filters, provide most value to you and why? Let us know in the comments to inspire others!

This is great and I can’t wait for the “What’s Next” features to roll out in the future! 

HI @Sebastian
Thank you for listening to my feedback that I added here!!!
I am very stoked about you folks including the last activity filter.

It’s an incredibly valuable data point.

Here’s how I explained the use case to the rest of my team. I am sharing it below in case it can help other community members.

Starting from today, in the User Overview, there is the column “last activity”. Please make sure to activate it from the filter columns selection in the backend.

What does it mean?

In short, you can immediately see when was the last time a user was logged in to the community. Technically, an activity means every action that a logged in user took on your community, so even a pageview while being logged in counts as activity. (not only likes and posts)

What are the use cases?

• When you look for a user, you can now immediately know if they have been recently active or not. This also helps us identify inactive/ “sleepy” users at a glance so we know who needs to be re-engaged.
  • For example (see screenshot below): I filtered users who submitted >5 comments (a pretty active community member) and sorted by last activity. and bam, these are people that we can actively reach out to and check why the activity has stopped, possibly re-engaging them. (of course, we should first verify if they have churned or switched to a different company)

Best, Daniele

I’d be happy to hear about other use cases or creative ideas from other members, too! :)

Incredible work, thank you @Sebastian! We’re eagerly awaiting seeing the change roll out in our platform 🙂

Filtering by User Profile Fields and Creating/Saving User Segments will be HUGE for us as well

Would love to see more advanced role filters and being able to exclude certain roles. 

Hey @Sebastian, sorry to nag, but should the rollout for this functionality be complete? We’re still not seeing the new filters in our User Overview section.

@adam.ballhaussen We’re completing rollout on Monday, but I’ve just turned on the new filters for you manually. Have a good weekend!

Would love to see more advanced role filters and being able to exclude certain roles. 

@mbonnell We’re working on being able to exclude items as well and we’re releasing that on the short term. Apart from excluding, what else would you like the role filters to do?

@adam.ballhaussen We’re completing rollout on Monday, but I’ve just turned on the new filters for you manually. Have a good weekend!

Incredible. Thanks so much! I hope your weekend’s great as well.

Would be great to export the data once the filter is set.

@SebastianLeyens Ideally more customization. For example, if I select two custom roles, it will show me all matches as an “or” filter instead of an “and” filter whereas for most of my use cases currently, I want to select someone who has multiple customer roles and exclude employees. 

@Sebastian do you have an ETA on ‘Apply bulk actions to users’? We’re going to do a pilot in about a month and I would love to use this feature. Will it be possible to apply a specific custom role to an x amount of user by username of e-mailadres? I don't know how I would be able to segement that group another way.

@Sebastian do you have an ETA on ‘Apply bulk actions to users’? We’re going to do a pilot in about a month and I would love to use this feature. Will it be possible to apply a specific custom role to an x amount of user by username of e-mailadres? I don't know how I would be able to segement that group another way.

Hi @Paul_, we’re currently working on adding more filtering options to the User overview (to filter on email address, username, ranks, etc. but also custom user profile fields such as Company, First name, Last name, etc.), which we’ll release within a few weeks. After that, we’ll start work on Segments and Bulk actions, but I’m afraid we won’t be able to wrap that up in one month.

It will, however, cover the use cases you brought up, so first filter users by email address, then apply a specific user role. 

Would be great to export the data once the filter is set.

I would love this as well! So handy to get the data filtered how you like and exported right from the same window vs having to download the full data set and then manipulate it outside of the platform.