Release

Now available: Parent categories

Now available: Parent categories
We’re really happy to share that parent categories have been enabled on your production environments. With parent categories you will be able to offer users a new area which includes all content from all categories in one overview.

Parent categories might be a new word for you. To make sure we’re all speaking the same language we have created a visual that explains what we at inSided refer to as parent categories and normal categories. Click the spoiler to reveal

Various examples on where (parent) categories are displayed in the platform

Why are we doing this?

We see that specifically larger, mature communities with many categories would like to offer their (super)users a better experience while navigating the community. A parent category usually includes many related categories which all cover a product or a specific field of interest. Instead of having them change categories just to be up-to-date with the hottest discussions and latest questions, a separate parent category page with all content combined makes more sense.

But this does not just provide value for large or established communities, it’s valuable for all shapes and sizes.. You as a community Manager are now able to structure content better, lowering the barrier between different categories in a knowledge base, improving the overall browsing experience.

Last but not least: integrations. Why share a link to the entire community on a product page, when a link now can also present all FAQs, discussions and ideas in a single page? We would recommend you to start reviewing your integration plan to maximize the added value for your users.

What’s new

We added, updated and improved the following functionalities together with this rollout:

• We made the parent category a new page in the platform which a user can visit

• We made the parent category names clickable in the navigation (menu dropdown and homepage category stream)

• We updated the topic stream list and now show the name of the parent category so that you can see to which parent category and category a topic was posted

• We added the new parent category to the breadcrumbs

• We added a functionality to hide the parent category description on your homepage

• We improved the layout and configuration settings for the category structure in control

FAQ

Q: How can I access parent categories

A: Either click on the parent category name in the categories stream on the homepage or click on the parent category name in the menu dropdown. And access parent categories by visiting its direct URL.

Q: Which elements are shown on a parent category

A: Title

Description (optional)

Hero image (optional)

Categories as navigation cards

Topic list displaying topics from all categories sorted by recent activity

General sidebar

Q: How can I make changes to my parent category

A: Visit Control > Forum Settings > Category Structure and click ‘Edit’ on the parent category to make changes. You can change the title, description, determine if you want to show the description on the homepage and change the hero image.

Q: Are there no sticky topics on parent categories?

A: Yes and No. In parent categories the sticky topics appear in the regular stream based on recent activity and won’t be positioned in a fixed position on top of the stream.

Thank you inSpired community

Last but not least a thank you to everyone testing this functionality on their staging environment and providing us feedback. We were able to include some of your suggestions and fix inconsistencies. You helped us shape this feature!
I seem to be unable to publish hero images to parent category pages... I've been able to upload to images to the control environment, but they are not live.

Should this be an immediate change?
Yes, the change should be immediate. We're deploying an improvement as we speak. Within an hour your hero images should be live 🙂
Great update. Thanks inSided team!
Yes, the change should be immediate. We're deploying an improvement as we speak. Within an hour your hero images should be live :)

@Yoeri And they are live, thanks 🙂

There are situations when you need three level categories. I explain:

• Level 1: Category: CARS
    • Level 2: Category: Electric cars
      • Level 3: Category: Manufacturer 1 → Content
      • Level 3: Category: Manufacturer 2 → Content
      • Level 3: Category: Manufacturer 3 → Content
    • Level 2: Category: Cars with combustion engine
      • Level 3: Category: xxx → Content
      • Level 3: Category: yyy → Content
      • Level 3: Category: zzz → Content
  • Level 1: Category: BIKES
    • Level 2: Category: Enduros
    • Level 2: Category: Street bikes

And so on.

Is this possible with inSided, I cant find anything related with this? It seems there are only two level categories, Parent category + category.

Thanks for that input and example Terore. Within inSided we only have 2 level categories: Parent category & child category. 

Thanks for that input and example Terore. Within inSided we only have 2 level categories: Parent category & child category. 

Okay, thanks confirming this. We have to think about other solution for the structure.

Thanks for the name as well, “child category”, I didnt know that :D