Announcement

Now available: WYSIWYG Editor In Control (Create Topic Only)

Related products: CC Topic Creation

Updated Thu 13 Dec 2018 @ 16:25

Just a heads up for you and your moderation team: we plan to release an update to the editor for the create topic page in Control this week. Read on for more details!

We have released an update to the editor on the create topic page in Control for all (branded) customers. Read on for more details!

What has changed?

We have replaced the old BBcode editor in Control for creating a topic with a WYSIWYG editor (the same component your community members use on the frontend).

What exactly is included in the release of the WYSIWYG editor for creating topics in Control?

• All the same formatting options currently available in the WYSIWYG editor on the frontend.

• A bigger post editing area, which matches the width of the desktop view in the frontend, and which scales as you type, so you can easily see/preview your whole article before publishing.

• Copy/pasting text with formatting from another editor will also become easier.

• New shortcut: Add hyperlinks using CTRL/CMD-K

• New shortcut: Add strikethrough formatting using CTRL/CMD-SHIFT-X.

• @mentions (for create topic only right now...although we're working on this for replies...read below for more info!)

We hope this will make the creation of Articles a little bit easier for you!

What is not included in this release?

• No new capabilities have been added to the editor in general (e.g. still no tables). This falls under our longer-term vision to provide all the rich formatting capabilities you need to best serve your community.

• You won't be able to preview the exact font you use on the frontend (although we have made at least a few cosmetic improvements so it's easier to see line breaks/space under headings etc).

What are the next steps for the editor in Control?

• Replying in Control using the WYSIWYG editor. We're in beta with this and expect to release this as a next step (we'll give fair warning about this since it'll have a more significant impact on your moderation team). This will include @mentions for replies in Control.

• Editing in Control using the WYSIWYG editor. We're investigating this, and keeping in mind that posts can often 'break' and can only be resolved by viewing/editing the BBcode itself.

Additional info

• 'Unofficially supported' BBcode options like 'color' will continue to work if you manually add in the BBcode (just like they currently do in the WYSIWYG editor on the frontend).

Hope you like this update! Please let us know if you have any questions/feedback 🙂
Also a mega big thank you on behalf of our development team to our fearless beta testers who've been sharing their feedback/opinions & spotting bugs with the WYSIWYG editor in Control: @bjoern_schulze @Jurgen @AmyMareli @Suvi Lehtovaara @Ronald Posthumus @aluciani @Claudia.Willunat @Hiewwaiy.

Totally forgot to mention you all in my opening post (shame on me!) 😋
Also a mega big thank you on behalf of our development team to our fearless beta testers who've been sharing their feedback/opinions & spotting bugs with the WYSIWYG editor in Control: @bjoern_schulze @Jurgen @AmyMareli @Suvi Lehtovaara @Ronald Posthumus @aluciani @Claudia.Willunat @Hiewwaiy.

Totally forgot to mention you all in my opening post (shame on me!) 😋

Glad I could be of help! 🙂
Glad to be of help 🙂 Also a big thanks to @Patomiäs who spotted out a bug yesterday 🤓💪🏻
We’ve just released this update!

You can now use the WYSIWYG editor to create topics in Control.

Refer to the (updated) opening post of this topic to learn all the details of what’s included in this release, what’s not included, and what our next steps will be.

Happy editing!