Solved

Rule of topics sorting

• 14 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

We found an inconvenient situation. If we have a new topic and then we move (by mods action) a post from old topic to it, the new topic falls down in a list. So nobody could see it and help a user. How can we avoid this situation?

icon

Best answer by Julian 28 January 2020, 13:12

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Rodion,

thanks for sharing your question here! :)

The sorting of posts within a topic is always based on the time a post has been created. Also, the sorting of topics within a category list is based on the date of the last activity within a thread.

So, if you move a new topic (or reply) to an old topic, it should actually move the old topic to the same location within a category list where the new topic was located before. So it should not be low in the list...

Do I understand it correct that for you, the new content is then located lower in the list than where it should be?

You could “fix” that by replying (e.g. that you have combined both topics), which automatically should move the topic back to the top of the list. But this should not really happen in the first place.

Should this be the case, could you maybe share the link to that topic with us here, so that we can have a look at this exact example? Or are you refering to a different list than the category topic list?

Do I understand it correct that for you, the new content is then located lower in the list than where it should be?

Yes, it’s true. New topic with an old post becomes lower that other new topics.

You could “fix” that by replying that you have combined both topics, which automatically should move the topic back to the top of the list. But this should not really happen in the first place.

Tnx! Will try this life hack :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I think I have found the issue, at least I was also able to move a new topic lower by moving an older topic into it.

What I can see happening is that, at least in my case, the “last activity” in a topic is defined by the older topic (and not by the newer topic, or a newer comment).

To me this looks like a small bug where the last activity is measured incorrectly. I have reported it and will update you once I have more information. Until then, my life hack will do the trick. ;)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey Rodion!

I am happy to inform you that this issue has been resolved now. Now, merging a topic in a situation like described will actually have the expected result. Topics will be sorted by last activity again, also in this case.