Question

Notification about spam messages

• 27 May 2020
  • 1 reply

Last week we received a message from one of our communitymembers who received a new notification for one of our categories he is following. However, after clicking the link there was no new topic to be found. We then found out that the topic he received a notification about, was moved to the spamfolder. It seems a little weird members receive notifications for messages/topics that are being marked as spam. Is there something we can do about it?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Monique,

thanks for sharing this with us here! :)

Well, the way category subscriptions work is that the notification is being sent in the same moment a new topic is being published - so there is very little time to prevent this from happening. I am wondering if this topic was automatically marked as spam, or if you marked it as spam and moved it yourself?

I assume you are talking about the automatic spam detection. In this case, we might be able to prevent the notification from going out right-away, I would have to check this with the product team though as they know much better how these processes look like.

One thing that you can actually do already, is to alter the error page users would see if they click on such a link. Problably (I have to test this as I do not know it for sure) this error page would be the same that is also displayed in different situations, e.g. a topic got deleted. So if I were you I would try to give a generic message saying this topic is not existing anymore, with a few possible reasons why this is the case.

I have done the same for our error message for hidden categories: I mention that the user might just needs to log in, or that there are general permission settings preventing a user from accessing that page:

If you want to do this, I can test this myself and give you the different scenarios where you see this specific page, as well as the phrases codes you would need to enter to alter the text on that page.