Solved

How can we limit certain content to non-guests

• 15 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Quick question (I hope!).

We want to be able to post threads without guests being able to see the actual content.

Guests would see a thread exists, but when they click on it, it would say you need to be authenticated to view the actual content itself.

I’m extremely new to the platform, so any help is appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Julian 16 December 2020, 12:25

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi,

welcome to inSpired & thanks for sharing your question here! :)

This is a good question, I see this coming up sometimes while setting up the platform. Unfortunately, this is not really possible, however there is something you could do.

Our permissions work on category level (see this category / create topics / create comments). The main thought behind this was that, if a user is not allowed to see content, it should also not be visible to this user. Mostly to prevent disappointment / a dead end in the journey, but also to protect potential sensitive information from being exposed.

One page where this behaves differently is the homepage: You could feature content here which not all users have access to (e.g. in a quicklink or in a featured content widget). Once users would click on it, they would see a generic error 403 (forbidden) page, this message can be customized though to reflect that the user account needs to be verified first. Here the example we use on inSpired:

Now I personally would also like to flag certain articles to only be visible to a certain segment (for me it is for customers vs. non-customers), so I generally like the idea.

Could you be able to tell us more about the specific reason why you’d like to hide content for individual users? That can help the product team to identify potential solutions. Of course, feel free to create an idea instead, this way the product team will get back to you directly and we can measure how many other people would like to see this in our platform.

That’s the direction we’re heading in.  Special sections for non-guests.  Appreciate the reply and answer!!!

Our intention here was to post how to videos (or other items) that are fixes for product issues (aka bugs) that we want customers to see, but not the guest/google which could be competitors.  Our registered users need to have maintenance contracts, so allowing them to see these posts would be fine as long as we can hide them from non-customers.

To add, there might be a large number of these, so front page featured content would get flooded, or items we share would get replaced quickly.

We can create a another folder for this section, though we want people to know there is content out there and encourage them to sign onto maintenance.  We can then FEATURE the ‘hidden’ category so non-customers know it is there, but get the forbidden message.  That just might work.