Filter operators on the User overview

Related products: CC Users & Roles
Filter operators on the User overview

As we’re bringing more filtering capabilities to the User overview, so does the need to be more specific in filtering your users. That’s why over the last few weeks, we’ve released some small improvements to the way that filters work on the User overview. Read on to learn all about them.

More advanced filtering capabilities

For all types of filters (lists, text, date and numbers), we’ve added so-called filter operators. This means that instead of only finding users where a certain condition is true (eg. where Custom Role equals x or y), we’re enabling you to find users in more specific ways (eg. where something is not true, where a field is empty, etc.). Below you’ll find the operators we’ve added:

Text filters (eg. Email, First name, Company, etc.)

• Contains

• Does not contain

• Equals

• Does not equal

• Starts with

• Ends with

• Is empty

• Is not empty

List filters (eg. Custom role, Ranks, Badges, Department, etc.)

• Is one of

• Is not one of

• Is empty

• Is not empty

Number filters (eg. Topics, Replies, etc.)

• Equals

• Does not equal

• Less than

• More than

• Between

Date filters (eg. Registration date, Last activity, Birthday, etc.)

• Less than

• More than

• Before

• After

• On

• Between

Use cases

These filters allow you to drill down on your user base and to find groups of interest. Some examples:

• Users that are not part of a group yet (Groups ‘is empty’)

• Users that are not staff (Email ‘does not contain @yourdomain.com)

• Users that haven’t filled in their basic profile information (First name ‘is empty’ and Last name ‘is empty’)

More importantly, these filters will allow you to build better Segments, which is a new feature that’s in open beta now. This feature will allow you to save these filters as a segment which auto-updates automatically, will show segments as a percentage of your user base and allows you to take action on your users through our upcoming bulk actions.

You can opt-in for the open beta for the new Segments feature yourself by visiting the Settings > Experimental Features page in Control.

qY6uiySI2iyxdOeATwFvPDhYNodOrqZiIpOeECiF64smBcj0xTv1anRD5vxR6bGOHuteyPcqNeewnKdKj0keN6ossmhHIvv02bVdE8G-PlYdPXZagKc-YxghzUufnK609sNYmdlY1hQjZ939RRuT6BdVBqXT0amVQdO53j-NEKIBLPbaD-VnpH_BDQ

All I can say is:
Yeeeeehaw! Cannot wait to try out the segments feature. 🔥

Quick question: can we use the homepage widget customization workaround (the one that @Julian set up for us via TPS) based on segments too? or is it still just based on role and rank?

All I can say is:
Yeeeeehaw! Cannot wait to try out the segments feature. 🔥

Quick question: can we use the homepage widget customization workaround (the one that @Julian set up for us via TPS) based on segments too? or is it still just based on role and rank?

Awesome @Daniele Cmty! Right now, segments are passive in the sense that you can see who’s in each segment if you view the segment in Control. In the next iterations, we’ll be making them active to cater for your use case of personalizing widgets based on a user’s segment out-of-the-box (cc @Sudhanshu) and using segments as an input for automated email campaigns.  

Can we open a thread so all the testers can exchange use cases and best practices?

I can think of lots of use cases and would love to see what ideas other users have

Can we open a thread so all the testers can exchange use cases and best practices?

I have several use cases in mind but would love to see what ideas other users have :)

Thanks @Sebastian 

Filters today when combined are AND. Any plans to allow for OR or NOT conditions when using together?

And what is the anticipated timeline to be able to make bulk changes to a group of users that match a segment condition? For example, all users that aren’t part of a group and in XYZ city, add/invite them to the XZY group.

Filters today when combined are AND. Any plans to allow for OR or NOT conditions when using together?

I agree!
In our case, this is especially relevant because Topics and Replies are decoupled and there is no aggregate “posts”” value. We don’t distinguish too much if they posted a reply or a topic, as long as they submitted something.​​​​​​@Scott Baldwin suggests would solve our case, e.g. “over 5 topics” OR “over 5 replies”. 

I’d also love to combine these segments with custom roles. It’d be nice to be able to see where customers, partners, employees fall in these segments.

Another slightly different need in the filters: I want to include users who have Custom role "Product X" AND NOT Custom role "Internal user", and currently you can only choose if they have OR don't have selected Custom roles. Would be good if you can layer both of these selections!

I agree!
In our case, this is especially relevant because Topics and Replies are decoupled and there is no aggregate “posts”” value. We don’t distinguish too much if they posted a reply or a topic, as long as they submitted something.​​​​​​@Scott Baldwin suggests would solve our case, e.g. “over 5 topics” OR “over 5 replies”. 

This!

My goodness it’s infuriating trying to build a simple filter like that 😅