Question

Reduce quote 'depth'

• 27 February 2023
  • 2 replies

We have a first world problem on out community. A lot of replies are unreadable beacause users don't always understand how to use the quote function. So things get really messy...

This is what we see:

<message>

<message>

<message>

<message>

<message>

This is what we want:

<message>

<message> 

Is there anything we can do to make it so only one level (the last one) is copied to the WYSIWYG editor/reply box (or any other fancy name for that box 😋)?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

We had this problem shortly after our launch and so we used the phrasing tool to adjust it back to just “Quote” (we had changed it to “quote and reply.” 

I suspect that the issue is they don’t see any intuitive way to reply. I find this box to be unhelpful / counterproductive, as it buries the WYSIWYG widget for crafting your reply. 

So our other solution was to use CSS to hide that box and move the reply box up. Details in this thread: 

Once I did that, I politely “corrected” the behavior through the lens of the UX improvement: 

https://community.unqork.com/product-updates/easier-replies-on-community-hub-9620

It didn’t end it, but it was reduced dramatically. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I did some UX research for an “improved real time experience” a few months back and was very happy with the direction of the design concepts. So I think at some point the UX will help this out big time; I’m pretty sure I spoke to the challenges in this thread (quotes used too much; unintuitive replies) when I talked to them. 

It’s a pretty big overhaul and not specifically called out the road map to my knowledge, so I’d guess a year from now at the earliest.