Prepopulate Subcategory based on where I am in the community.

Related products: CC Topic Creation

I think it would help users choose the right category, if the subcategory was preloaded based on where they are in the community.

Example - If I search, end up in the CRM category, but don’t find my answer and go to post a new question, it’d be nice if I didn’t have to dig through the categories to find the right one. It should assume I’d like to post in CRM.

It’s not a huge inconvenience for the main community, but we’ve got a few restricted areas, and it’d be cool if employees/partners didn’t have to scroll through the long list of options. 

I’m guessing your community already uses the new “Mega menu”, right? Because with the “old” main navigation (and its “New topic” button), it worked exactly how you described it: When you’re inside a category and click on “New topic”, the ID of the current category is used to prepopulate the “Category” dropdown list.

I agree completely. This functionality should also be part of the “New topic” button in the new “Mega menu”.

@bjoern_schulze  - We are in the new mega menu! I wondered about this. I kind of assumed it worked this way, but then I made a training video yesterday and realized that it didn’t. 

@Kgastaldo thanks for your idea. Indeed we haven't yet implemented that behavior for the Mega Menu. Thanks for raising it, we have planned some time in Q1 to finish some improvements on Mega Menu before releasing it officially.

Updated idea status NewOpen

Yay! Thanks for the update.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

Hey @Marion Frecaut  - Any update on this? Our community has a lot of categories and this would be immensely helpful. 

Hello @Kgastaldo we have currently planned to resume work on the Mega Menu very soon in the comings weeks and we will solve it then. I will let you know when we actually start the work so I can be more accurate but this is definitely short-term. 

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.
Updated idea status OpenDelivered

@Kgastaldo I'm happy to say that idea has now been delivered :)

Yay! Thank you!

Also FYI @nate2 @triskaideka  :)

Hey @Marion Frecaut 

The meaning its now being developed? or been added to the rad map? 

Thank you!

Hello Nate, the idea as been delivered. This is now working on production. When creating a topic from a child category or from a topic, the category field will be pre-filled.

Hey @Marion Frecaut 

It works for me only on the child category and not the main categories, is that how to works? 

Thanks!

Yes this is normal. You can only post topics within child categories. You can't post content in parent categories.