Move content (topics, questions, comments, etc.)

• 10 January 2019
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
  • Gainsight Employee: ACE
  • 884 replies
There are several ways to move content on the community. Let's have a look at the different options:

Moving a topic (question, discussion, article, idea)

It is very easy to move a topic to a new location. Simply select the desired destination in the drop-down menu:

Some notes on this:

• After moving the topic, the community will send a notification to users who subscribed to a category that a new topic has been created
  • If you move a topic from category A to category B, the statistics will still count it as being created in category A. This has consequences on some levels, e.g. for the calculation of Badges (for example: x amount of topics created in category 😎.

Moving one or several comments (to an existing topic)

It might also happen that a post (or more posts) fits in better with a topic that already exists. In that case, you can move the content to another topic so you everyone can keep track of the discussion in a better way.

Select these comments and use the button [move to existing topic] at the bottom of the page.

Note: Be aware that all posts will always be shown in the order of the time that they were created. It could mean that you have to add a note (e.g. edit: moved from another topic) so that users do not get confused.

Converting a discussion to a question (or the other way around)

Sometimes a question is not marked as a question (customers often forget about this). You can simply convert a topic to a question under "more options" in a topic page.

Merge an entire topic with another one

You can move several replies at the same time, but you are not able to move the entire topic into another one - the first post always has to be moved seperately:

Any questions or issues with moving topics / replies? Let us know in the comments! 👇

12 replies

Badge

Hey @Julian , thanks for posting this. Are these sections only available through control? Can’t admins move content via the community front end?

Badge

@Gabolino Most of the moderation actions are only available through control (which I personally fully support). An admin can open any topic in the frontend, click on “Control” in the bottom right corner, get directly to the topic page in control and then perform the desired action.

Badge

Sounds good @bjoern_schulze , Im used to perform all moderation actions via the front end, which I always found really convenient - going only to control for more sophisticated matters. It’s not an issue to use the control panel instead, I guess it’s a matter of habit :sunglasses:

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I know that feel. 🙂 I was also quite used to work in the front-end only, mainly because it offers a better browsing experience. When we moved our community over to inSided back in the days, it also took me some time to get used to it. Over time it just felt more efficient to work in the Control Environment, which it also truly is.

Maybe just a detail, but good to know: You will also clear the “unread” status in the Control Environment when you read content in the front-end - so you won’t have to read everything twice.

What’s the benefit of using “conversation” vs an article?

2 questions:

1. Does the user that created the topic get notified that his topic moved?
  2. Does some information or data lose a long the way of moving from one place to another?

Badge

Hey there @nate2 !

I can answer both of those for you. :)

From my understanding, the user won’t generally get notified that the topic was moved, which is to help prevent spamming or flooding them with random emails. However, all links to the thread will be updated anyway, so nothing will break even if they had it bookmarked.

As for data loss… Nope! As long as you’re not trying to do something that’s currently unsupported, such as moving things to or from Ideation, you can move topics all over the place freely. While it’s true that there is “data loss” in that the topic loses data about where it’s old home was, this gets replaced with the data about where it now lives and isn’t really much of a loss anyway. Depends on how you look at it really. :blush:

Apart from leaving a note when something is moved, is there any other way of viewing the history of a post in control like an audit trail?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

There will be a record in the “Moderation action” export of this action. Most communities that I know of however simply leave a note in the team notes section of a topic moderation page. Some also edit the posts and leave a public note that this content has been moved, but only a minority is doing this extra step to provide more context for whoever is reading it.

Badge

@Julian  I see that “Copy Topic” is an option in one of your videos - but I don’t see that option on my end. Is this still an available option or was it removed? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This option is still available, however it is not available for all content types. You can only copy conversations, not articles or questions. However you can of course convert content to be a conversation, and then copy content from there.

I am using the content overview page to move a lot of topics from one child category to another. I have my desired filters and the number of topic displayed set to 50. I select the box at the top to select all topics. Unfortunately, it is only moving 33-34 topics at a time 😞 Not sure what I am doing wrong, but any help would be appreciated.