Front-end moderation by users

Related products: CC Moderation

Hi all,

We would like to be able to allow specific users (superusers and other top users) the opportunity to assist us with content maintenance on the front end of the community (not in control).

For instance a basic level:

• Moving topics and posts from board A to board B - for instance from the Ask a Question- to a more relevant board.

• Add public tags to topics - this will help with overall SEO

• Merge topics and posts - this is particularly helpful if we have a number of new topics started during an outage.

In addition, some trusted users can help with slightly more advanced moderation:

• Trash topics and posts (spam)

• Edit posts (profanity)

• Add/remove question mark and Mark as Answer

• Lock topics - particularly helpful if the community doesn't have a lot of staff coverage during weekends/evenings, and there's a hot topic getting out of hand.

At the absolute top, we'd have long term community friends help with actual content management:

• Mod tags

• Post fields

• internal labels

These moderation options can be part of an incentive for superusers: you will be able to help with moderation. Of course community staff should be able to immediately revoke someones moderation rights in case they abuse it.

What do you think? could this be useful for your own community? :)

Best,

Ditte

Likewise, all my superusers are asking for this as they’re willing to do much more on my community :wink: And I know they can handle it very well!

Following on from a pretty nasty trolling attack that we experienced on the OVO Forum last week while @timcavey was away, I really could have done with this. Even if it was in Control rather than the front-end. In some ways, it may make more sense to do this in Control where the features already exist, but simply have a new permission level in there which provides an appropriate level of access as suggested. But either way, my ideal solution would also make sure that if a Super User is logged in, everything that’s GDPR protected and/or super overpowered gets hidden away from me (I don’t want access to that stuff anyway).

Anyway, given how powerless I was to handle it over the weekend, the ability to at least do something myself would have really helped to nuke the trolling attack much faster. I’m lucky in that my SkyNet Blastoise tactic worked for long enough to allow Tim to throw down the banhammer, but it’s a last resort strategy that I don’t like having to use very often as it can backfire.

Pretty much as soon as the thread got nuked, the trolls vanished too...

I am new to Insided and having used other tools before i must say it is a pretty broken experience for moderators to have to log into another UI (and be granted a license) to perform basic chanegs such as tags, moving topics, marking best answer etc.

To be fair, keeping most of the Moderator/Community Manager/Administrator stuff restricted to just Control and be accessed via the backend does have its advantages, such as keeping the frontend a bit (or a lot!) less bloated and reducing how many resources are sent to everyone's web browsers for things that only a handful of users will ever be able to make use of. It’s also more secure in quite a few different ways.

If you throw too much of this stuff at the frontend, it creates a broken experience for users who have slower connections or less powerful devices, giving them a harder time for no real benefit. The trick is to find a balance between the two. :)

@Blastoise186 I agree with this but:

1- I am talking about moderators here, not all the other persona

2- Features like the ability to mark an Best Answer or to edit the post/tags are already present in the frontend, it is a matter of letting Moderators use them on topics they have not authored! 

3- Frequent moderation tasks such as moving a topic to another location would not overload the UI for moderators too much...

Upvote.

Also wish at least deleting / banning users from front-end instead going directly to CP.

I’d also add “spam” button, that will automatically delete malicious post (or even delete all user posts), and ban user instantly.