Allow users to search for all topics containing the same public tag

Related products: CC Search

Create the functionality whereby clicking on a public tag returns a page populated with topics that have said tag.

And here’s the backstory, the reason I make this request:

A recurring point of frustration for me is that I cannot easily bring up a list of all topics containing the same public tag (in the control and in the front-end). Tags are factored into which topics are surfaced in search results but they are so far down the algorithm’s hierarchy that very rarely contribute to the surfacing of a topic in search results if I search for that specific tag. This feels very non-intuitive to me. 

In our community, we give certain topics the same public tag(s) if they belong to a series of topics of the same type. For example, I do a “course of the week” post and use the “course of the week” tag to identify those posts. But this is what comes up if I search for “course of the week” – and none of the 31 topics with this tag are surfaced on the first page of results.

Recently a community member sent me this message:

I love your "COURSE OF THE WEEK" posts and was wondering if there's an easy way to filter them such that I can see a page populated exclusively with those posts. My intention is to have a link I can save to my favourites so that I can periodically check to see what people have to say about various courses/programs of interest. :)

As a workaround, I created a custom search for this tag and saved it as a sidebar button on our homepage. When clicking on that sidebar button, the search produces a list like the one I would expect to see if I click on the public tag.

I notified the community member of this change and he said:

I tried to do this on my own without success (I was missing the "&search_type=tag" bit).

Most users [from my experience] would default to trying to click on the desired tag itself when attempting to access a page populated with posts tethered to that given tag; perhaps such functionality [for tags in general] warrants a place on a "to-do" or "nice-to-have" wish-list of sorts(?).

I agree, and since it’s something I’ve been wanting for awhile, I finally decided to submit my request. :slight_smile:

Be the first to reply!