Question

Is there a workaround to move comments out of a product Update?

• 22 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

We currently have one topic in our community which we would like to escalate to the next level so it reaches our Product Team. Members are commenting EVERYWHERE the theme pops up. 

In order to keep an overview and being able to work on the feedback, we have clustered the different aspects the comments are mostly focusing on. We have channeled the feedback in 4 Main Threads and will merge them into ideas so that our Product Teams can work with it in Ideation.

Challenge: We have a few comments on several aspects in a Product Update which we would like to add to those 4 main Threads, depending on the topic. Is there some way to do this?

I am aware that this isn’t possible directly, I already voted for @DannyPancratz idea: 

Best,
Lena

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Not that I know of unfortunately.

Not being able to move posts to or from PU's is really disappointing tbh. We’ve been asking for this for more than a year. You also can't see the rank and rank icon of a user/admin in PU's which is weird as well. etc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It looks like this was added to the API, but I haven’t tested it myself. 

Link (US) https://api2-us-west-2.insided.com/docs/community/#tag/ProductUpdates/operation/moveProductUpdateReply

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

@Paul_ , yes it kind of is the same behavior as in ideation. 

@DannyPancratz, interesting. Probably a no-brainer for you, but I haven’t made the connection yet. 😇 How can I use it with the API? Which other tool are you using to move comments and topics between the areas? 
I tried to find out if you have solved it on your community plattform, but wasn’t able to. 

Or do you mean, this is possible, if the whole community plattform is somehow setup via an API and just pulling the information to our own website? 

Best, Lena

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Lena H. 

Or do you mean, this is possible, if the whole community plattform is somehow setup via an API and just pulling the information to our own website?

Good news: This is not necessary. You can use the API to address individual use cases, no need to set up the whole platform. 

I tried to find out if you have solved it on your community plattform, but wasn’t able to. 

Nope. I don’t have a use case yet.

Now the good stuff…

How can I use it with the API? Which other tool are you using to move comments and topics between the areas? 

You have a few options. For one-off or a handful of individual replies you need to move, there’s a free tool called Postman

Or, if you think this is going to be semi-common, I automate a lot of things with Zapier. But you could use any automation tool to leverage the API. 

It sounds like your use case is in the middle: it’s a subset of replies, but community members might keep adding them. 

If it were me, I’d build a simple Zapier automation (if you’re not using it yet, this could definitely work within the free plan)

1. New Google Form Submission (build a form to collect the info you need for the API)
    1. Reply ID - get this from the copy link option on the reply
    2. Which of your 4 Main Threads you want to move it to
      1. Set this up with the TopicId on the end of the option
  2. Format
    1. split the text or extract the number (you need to isolate the topicId)
  3. Gainsight CC - API Request (beta)
    1. Insert the replyId from the google form
    2. Insert the topicId from step 2
    3. Have the moderatorId preset to you or one of the admins

The end result is that whenever you want to move one of these replies, you just get the replyId from the URL, fill out the form, and it moves.