Release

Inserting a Table of Contents is now available

Related products: CC Topic Creation
Inserting a Table of Contents is now available

Posting a long article to capture detailed troubleshooting steps or an extensive product update for a complex feature is part of the life of any content creator on a community. Now you are able to insert a table of contents in your content piece to help your readers get an overview of the information shared and jump to the most relevant part of the content for them. 

How to insert a table of contents in your topic?

:writing_hand: When writing your content piece, use the small and large headings from the editor’s formatting options to highlight different parts of the content piece. These headings will be picked up by the table of contents.
:outbox_tray: After the content is ready to be published, click on the ‘three-dots’ button in the editor menu, and select ‘Table of contents’.   

:ballot_box_with_check:   A modal will be shown where you can set only large headings to be used, or leave the default behaviour to display both big and small headings. The table of contents will be inserted and it will display a bullet list containing links with each heading. 

What do you need to know about the table of contents?

• It is available in the text editor on both Control and Community, for all content types
  • It can be inserted in a spoiler, table, and callout. 
  • It updates automatically when a heading is added or removed.
  • It will contain relative URLs, meaning that in Control it will contain the Control URL of the topic, while in Community it will contain the Community URL of the topic. This is relevant when copying links from the table of contents with the intend to share them. 
    • Because the URLs are relative, they will contain in their path also the page number. For this reason, please always copy the link for sharing from the opening post, first page of replies
    • Also, we decided to strip the table of contents from quotes to avoid issues when copy-pasting a link from a quote.

Just tried it out - looks awesome! :raised_hands:

UUuuhh Sexy! Can’t wait to update some older topics and articles with this :smile:

This is really awesome! Thanks for getting this done @xiaoyu-shen!

Wow, very cool and something I always wanted. Thanks!

Hi, @Cristina

after a few months of using I have to say it works great for our Knowledge Base articles, although we would appreciate if we could also edit the text linked or add anchor links on different types of texts, too. 

Having said that, I encountered an issue with anchor links in our help widget. Clicking the links in table of contents in the article doesn’t seem to be working and opens another tab as the current URL. 

Any advice, please? Happy to provide a gif if needed. 

Thanks. Dasa

Hi @Dasa! Glad to hear you are finding the table of contents feature useful :smiley: Those sound like great improvements, I would encourage posting a dedicated idea :pray:

I will escalate your post to our support team and open a ticket for them to investigate the issue you encountered. Once the ticket is open, please share the topic link where the table of contents is not working as expected, and a gif/video is always welcomed as it helps us with reproducing the issue. Thanks in advance! 

This is so great especially for the long-form articles!

Hi,

Thanks for adding this feature, it looks great!

However, my article uses numbered headings, and when I format them into a table of contents, each clickable link has an unappealing and superfluous combination of bullet points and numbers. Is there any way to create a table of contents without bullet pointing each heading in the table? 

Hi @Zach! Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, it is not possible to edit the table of contents, as it is getting automatically updated with the actual headings it includes. Because it is a plug-in of the text editor, we have limited option to make it customisable, I’m afraid.