Add contextual "Edit Topic" link to Control for moderators/ administrators to easily amend topics

Related products: CC Others

Community managers does this sound familiar?

Situation: You are browsing the community in the front end, experiencing it as most users would but then you see a piece of content you need to edit… 

Currently: You then need to go to the Control tab you likely already have open or click on the control link at the bottom right since you are logged in as a Community moderator/ manager or admin. And then click on Content and find the same piece of content you were on in the front end.

Or you figured out that the link to the article is the same in the back and front end apart from the actual domain and you can therefore just replace that part of the link to go edit that topic in Control… Which is barely better.

Idea: Adding a contextual link when on topic pages to edit it from control, so people with the correct rights can just click edit that opens a new tab to the relevant Control page.

@Sebastian in this title I actually meant “pointing to Control...” and not adding the button to Control so it might be more sensible/ understandable if amended to:
“Add contextual "Edit Topic" link to front-end for moderators/ administrators to easily amend topics”
If this makes sense to you as well, I would appreciate it if you could amend the title as per above!

Hi @SmartlyGreg! Currently, when you’re on a specific topic (like this one) and I click on Control, it takes me to the same post in Control in a new tab. Are you already aware of this, because to me it sounds like the behaviour you’d like the Edit Topic button to have? Or did I misinterpret your question?

@Sebastian thats exactly the behaviour I wanted indeed… I guess a bit of a shame that its not more obvious. Since I’d clicked it before from the homepage and such I did not expect it to behave differently / contextually! A super useful feature, I’m going to start using straight away!

Idea parked/ closed is next I guess...

I’m gonna be that guy…

Just give me the editing controls I have in Control, but on the front end?

@SmartlyGreg I do agree that it could be a bit more clear what that button does exactly, but glad we kinda delivered this feature to you instantly by answering your question ;) I’ll loop in @Sanket (our new Product Designer) so he’s aware that this can be an issue or unclear to our end users, but I’ll close this idea for now. 

Updated idea statusNewClosed (Parked)

@Onomatopoeia see now I was trying to be reasonable but yeah...

@Onomatopoeia Always be that guy 😉 Please make sure you vote and weigh in on the discussion on this idea!