Question

Platform Design

• 1 November 2022
  • 2 replies

I am configuring our Community Platform and I’ve seen two different examples of how community managers organize Getting Started with the Community Content. One example is to have a Welcome to the Community Category and the other is to use the Knowledge base for that content. 

Is there a best practice or recommendation for this? I like the visual layout of Content in the knowledge base, but I didn’t know if that was an unusual approach.

Thanks for your help.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @LisaClar 

Welcome to the Communtiy.

The customisation of both the Community Overview and Knowledge Base Overview are pretty similar.  The widgets from which you can chose can help organise your categories for both content types.

As you will notice on our own community, we have a banner on the Homepage (a HTML Widget) that links to a Knowledge Base Category.

The articles content type adds a bit more flexibility for management than a topic (i.e. you can change author). I would also say the articles are static content, i.e. they would not change much. Only be added to as your community matures and evolves.

So hosting the Getting Started content here would be better from a knowledge management and maintenance perspective.

I hope that helps

Thanks for the explanation. That really helps. Do most communities use the knowledgebase, or just create the welcome content as a category. The training I am doing through insided, mentions uses categories and not the knowledgebase for this.