How To Enable Moderator Approval Of New Topics and Replies

• 17 January 2018
  • 6 replies

Under heavy spam attack and need to hit the emergency stop button?

Use ‘Pending posts’ to manually review topics and replies from all users. When this feature is enabled, a moderator must approve or deny a topic or post from a user before it will be published in the community.

How to enable moderator approval of posts by new users

1. Go to ControlSettingsPremoderation rules
  2. Activate the switch in ‘Moderator approval of new topics and replies
  3. Once new topics and replies have been submitted they will appear in Control → Content → Pending 
  4. Select one or more posts (max. 10).
  5. Finally, choose one of the below actions.

Moderator Actions:

• Approve: Publish the post in the community.
  • Mark as spam: Move the post to the Spam folder. This will help improve the spam machine learning algorithm.
  • Move to trash: Move the post to the Trash can - the post will not be published in the community.

Additional Details:

⚠️ Enabling this feature will mean that moderation takes significantly longer - please make sure your team has enough time to approve or deny all new posts. It should be used as a last resort.

💎 ‘Pending Posts’ must be manually enabled. If you disable this feature, then you’ll still have to moderate your current backlog of pending posts.

:mag_right: When enabled, all new topics and replies from all users will not be immediately visible on the community and will be shown in this list. This applies universally.

6 replies

Hi there! Does the pre-moderation filter also catch posts that are replies to topics (in this case specifically replies to questions)? We’re seeing replies not get caught by the pre-moderation rules and I’m trying to figure out if it’s the way it works or if we need to tweak something in the configuration. Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for sharing your question here!

I am not sure if you are in the right thread though - there are currently two ways of pre-moderation possible:

This article here covers moderator approval. This means that no content will be visible before being approved by a moderator. This includes all new topics but also replies, no matter if it is a reply to a question or anything… I would only recommend using this when really needed, e.g. if your community is discussing very sensible topics or if you are currently being hit by massive spam attacks.

I suspect you are referring to the pre-moderation based on keywords? This is being set up in the Control environment under settings > moderation > premoderation rules.

Please let me know which one of the two you are using so that I can help you with troubleshooting the issue you are experiencing.

Thanks, Julian :) 

Sorry for not being clear with my first post - we’re using pre-moderation based on keywords and it looks like it’s not catching posts and replies that have those words. I’m going to have a chat with my team to check a couple of things and will let you know if I still need help :) 

Hello, is it possible to do a premoderation based on the user role? We use SSO and we classify users by the type like customers, partners and guests (those who are neither customers nor partners) and we would like to premoderate such posts. Is is possible?

Hello, is it possible to do a premoderation based on the user role? We use SSO and we classify users by the type like customers, partners and guests (those who are neither customers nor partners) and we would like to premoderate such posts. Is is possible?

We have the same question/concern. Our community got hit with over 1,500+ replies to our topics that were all spam over the weekends. It should be more configurable for our user roles for those we trust and not have their content held.

We have the same question/concern. Our community got hit with over 1,500+ replies to our topics that were all spam over the weekends. It should be more configurable for our user roles for those we trust and not have their content held.

I have submitted the idea, let’s vote.