The first Analytics Dashboard is live!

• 29 December 2017
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
  • Gainsight Employee: ACE
  • 882 replies
Hi all!

As we want to leave this year with a bang, we just have released our very first Analytics Dashboard for all of you! :)

You are able to find it in the Analytics section of your control environment:

Some communities are still in the process of synchronizing the data base, so if you encounter issues accessing the dashboard, then this probably can be explained by that.

This first release is very important to us, now the ground work has been done to release more dashboards in the upcoming months. We already received quite innovative ideas for future dashboards, please keep providing us with your awesome feedback!

As we plan to move all exports to this new page at a later stage, maybe you can also share your current cases for doing exports? This way we can optimize our plans to deliver the best experience possible!

Please note: You might get a login-prompt when you click on the dashboard. You can simply abort it, you don't need to log in. ;)

If there should be any issues while using the dashboard, then simply reload the page. That will do the trick in most of the cases. Should you encounter anything that looks like a bug to you, please inform my colleagues from support!

Of course I am excited to hear your thoughts on this! If you should have questions, I will do my very best to answer them. ;)

Last but not least, I want to wish all of you a joyful ending of this year and an awesome start in 2018!

Cheers,

Julian

19 replies

Hi @Julian ,

I will explore the dashboard for sure 😀

For now, the time range selection isn´t working for me... I choose "Last 30 days" and nothing 😔

Also, the loading is very slow and the Scroll on the graphics vs on the page is overlapping.

Some quick feedback so far. I know it´s a beta version.
Hi @Julian ,

I will explore the dashboard for sure 😀

For now, the time range selection isn´t working for me... I choose "Last 30 days" and nothing 😔

Also, the loading is very slow and the Scroll on the graphics vs on the page is overlapping.

Some quick feedback so far. I know it´s a beta version.

Hi @tomasmouton

Glad to see your feedback. If I may take the freedom to assume that the "Last 30 days" thing is the most important thing to fix, I will discuss a few ways to improve on this with our product owner as soon he is back from holidays.

On the "loading is very slow". Can you elaborate on what exactly is slow? The initial load time where the page stays white? To me it takes 2 to 3 seconds display the first visualisations. Is it slower at your computer?
Badge
Congrats on this feature!

I don't care for the graphic dashboards much, since we use CSV-exports to make our own dashboards that are quite elaborate (a top 5 of topics that you can sort by 2 axes (replies and likes), that just won't do). Some additions would add insights I'd like to have.

In the old dashboard, I could look at the replies, topics and likes trends seperately. This is useful, because the relatively high amount of replies make topics and likes trend really hard to discern. Since you're going to be refining and extending the dashboards for the coming months: is there any way to reach the old dashboard right now?
Congrats on this feature!

I don't care for the graphic dashboards much, since we use CSV-exports to make our own dashboards that are quite elaborate (a top 5 of topics that you can sort by 2 axes (replies and likes), that just won't do). Some additions would add insights I'd like to have.

In the old dashboard, I could look at the replies, topics and likes trends seperately. This is useful, because the relatively high amount of replies make topics and likes trend really hard to discern. Since you're going to be refining and extending the dashboards for the coming months: is there any way to reach the old dashboard right now?

Yes, the url is still available as it was before, if I am right.
Badge
I lost the URL, unfortunately 😕
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I lost the URL, unfortunately :/

No worries, that should do the trick (it worked for me...): https://XXXX/analytics/activity#tab/day

Edit: Just saw that the data could be missing... it might be that @maikbrox disconnected it?

Edit2: Ok I have found out that there is a current issue causing this. It should be fixed soon. 🙂
Badge
@Julian

I figured the fact that data was missing was due to the recent server issues, so no problem! 🙂
Hi @maikbrox , sorry for the waiting. For me it takes a little bit more to load. But I thinks it´s better now 😀

Can someone help me understanding some metrics? For instance:

• "Replies 1,78k 33,1% of replies" --> what does that % means?
Badge
I'm guessing it's the difference between the same period as selected, before it. Not very clear in my opinion either.
Hi @maikbrox , sorry for the waiting. For me it takes a little bit more to load. But I thinks it´s better now 😀

Can someone help me understanding some metrics? For instance:

• "Replies 1,78k 33,1% of replies" --> what does that % means?

The 33,1% indicates the difference with the previous period. So you have 33.1% more replies.
Badge

I lost the URL, unfortunately :/No worries, that should do the trick (it worked for me...): https://XXXX/analytics/activity#tab/day

Edit: Just saw that the data could be missing... it might be that @maikbrox disconnected it?

Edit2: Ok I have found out that there is a current issue causing this. It should be fixed soon. :)

Will the old statistics be gone forever? 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Jurgen!

I have spoken with my colleague about this topic. Basically, he said that fixing this would be a rather time-consuming task to do, and the team would rather spend their energy on improving the existing dashboard. That is unfortunate, however I understand the reasoning behind it.

We also discussed your specific use case:

Is this the main reason that you'd like to continue using the old dashboard? Because we are looking into improving the new dashboard, so that you can filter for likes, topics and replies seperately...
Badge
What a bummer, but it's fine if they're for working on adding it to the new dashboard.

It's gripe 1 on my top 3 of gripes about the new dashboard 🙂 Here's my complete top 3.

Gripe 1

Old dashboard: ability to filter likes, topics and replies

New dashboard: no ability to filter likes, topics and replies

Gripe 2

Old dashboard: a complete list of topics that you can sort by up to 6 axes (topic, forum, comments, unique users, topic start, last active)

New dashboard: a top 5 of topics that you can sort by 2 axes (replies and likes)

Gripe 3

Old dashboard: a nice responsive amount of screen real estate for the overview and summary

New dashboard: a tiny amount of screen real estate for 'Over time' and the titleless tables.
Userlevel 1
Badge
What a bummer, but it's fine if they're for working on adding it to the new dashboard.

It's gripe 1 on my top 3 of gripes about the new dashboard 🙂 Here's my complete top 3.

Gripe 1

Old dashboard: ability to filter likes, topics and replies

New dashboard: no ability to filter likes, topics and replies

Gripe 2

Old dashboard: a complete list of topics that you can sort by up to 6 axes (topic, forum, comments, unique users, topic start, last active)

New dashboard: a top 5 of topics that you can sort by 2 axes (replies and likes)

Gripe 3

Old dashboard: a nice responsive amount of screen real estate for the overview and summary

New dashboard: a tiny amount of screen real estate for 'Over time' and the titleless tables.

Completely agree with @Jurgen on the above points. In particular I'm missing Unique Users, and a good daily overview of topics and comments.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hey, thanks for your feedback.

One of the things we're looking into is having detailed table views. In these tables you will have more in-depth information on activity on topics and categories. I've attached a work-in-progress mockup of how it could look like and what information to display. Would like to hear your thoughts on it: which information would you like to see and why?
Badge
Nice mockup. It would probably be nicest if it this dashboard would work like an advanced topic filter featuring “Columns to display”. But if I had to vote:

Must haves

Topic

Forum*

Replies

Views

Should haves

Unique users

Could haves

Topic start

Last active

Type

User role

Category

*Not featured in mockup

Use cases:

• Topic and forum are important to identify the topics and their location.
  • Replies, views, likes and unique users enable users to rank the best performing topics in a certain time period.
  • The ‘could haves’ would be more suitable as filters than as axes. They'd enable users to zoom in on the performance of a certain type of topic, category, et cetera.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Due to quite a bit of spam, we've received a fair amount of "reported posts" from specific users. I've noticed that the topics table calculates the topic title and not the topic ID, therefore 2 out of 5 of our "top replies" topics are ' (username) has reported a post'.

Could you please consider using the topic ID for these tables so we receive accurate numbers? Or at least make it a toggle so we can chose :)

Best,

Ditte
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi all,

very good feedback, thanks a bunch for sharing it with us! We will try to improve the current Dashboard so that it will reflect your suggestions.

@Ditte I see what you mean! I think we simply have to remove the subforum from the calculation, where these topics are being published... that should do the trick. 🙂 If we switch it over to topic ID, it might not work because then the list probably would display only the topic ID instead, which has no added value... I will make sure that this is being refined as soon as possible.

Edit: I assume you would also don't mind to have the "Moderator Forum" removed from the category table then?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, @Julian ! Correct: I won't mind any "non public" boards to be removed. (That includes superuser area).

Best,

Ditte