๐ŸŽ Self-service badges has arrived! Create and edit badges in control

• 5 December 2017
  • 18 replies

Badge

Create and Edit Badges in Control!

Weโ€™re happy to announce that as of today you can add and edit badges for your communities in Control!

What features are available right now?

โœ… Add Badges

• Provide a title, description, and badge image
  • Define the rules that trigger the badge for community members.
  • Currently you can configure the following rules: # Replies Posted, # Topics Created, # (Best) Answers. You can also define the category/subcategory in which the badge should be awarded.

โœ… Edit Badges

• Change the above criteria after youโ€™ve created a badge.
  • Deactivate badges you no longer want to award to members (or reactivate them again if you need to)

How Tos

Please see these guides to learn how to use this new feature:

Will my existing badges continue to work alongside any new badges I create?

• Your existing badges will continue to work next to any badges you create using Control.
  • However, you wonโ€™t be able to edit all criteria of these badges from Control (for example, you canโ€™t edit the rules that trigger the badge).

Up next and in the future for self-service badges:

• (Soon) Admins will be able to configure & customise the email/private message notifications that users will receive upon earning a badge.
  • (Future) More rules for triggering badges - we're looking to you for inspiration, so post your best ideas in the Ideation forum and let others vote on them.

๐ŸŒŸ Weโ€™d love to get your feedback on this new feature! Please reply below with any comments or questions.

18 replies

@Esther Groth had two questions that could help everyone :

- If I deactivate a badge, does that mean, that all users who have already received the badge will lose it then? Or will it still be shown in their badge collection but the badge wonโ€™t be awarded anymore to other members?

Members who haven't received yet a deactivated badge will not be able to get it anymore.

Those who already have it will keep it.

- I have one badge, namely โ€œCommunity founderโ€, where the rule is based on the registration date. Can I make new badges again with that parameter (registration date) or will that be impossible?

Registration date is not a criteria for the moment but you can submit your idea in the Ideation forum and let others vote on them.
This is great news :)

It looks like this is only available in branded templates, will it be made available to custom too? We need to create a new one, so this would be really helpful if we could do it ourselves!
Hey Darran, you should be able to create a new badge on this page - https://ovo-en.insided.com/settings/badge/add ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Thanks for the link @Shane1 I cannot see that in my control menu, so glad you sent that over!!

Darran
@OVOdarran thats weird ๐Ÿค” would you mind sending me over a screenshot of what you see in your general settings in control, e.g.

then we will look into this, cheers!
Badge
@OVOdarran Are you signed in as an admin?
No it appears not!! @Maryam came to the rescue!!
Badge
Great!
Badge
So pro tip for anyone who can't edit their badges, go to 'User overview' in the Control environment and make sure you have the Administrator role 🙂
Badge

Will my existing badges continue to work alongside any new badges I create?

• Your existing badges will continue to work next to any badges you create using Control.
  • However, you wonโ€™t be able to edit all criteria of these badges from Control (for example, you canโ€™t edit the rules that trigger the badge).

Up next and in the future for self-service badges:

• (Soon) Admins will be able to configure & customise the email/private message notifications that users will receive upon earning a badge.
  • (Future) More rules for triggering badges - we're looking to you for inspiration, so post your best ideas in the Ideation forum and let others vote on them.

๐ŸŒŸ Weโ€™d love to get your feedback on this new feature! Please reply below with any comments or questions.

Not sure why you'd need more ideas about badge triggers, seeing as several of your communities already have cool badge triggers ... ๐Ÿ˜… I'd prefer a poll asking us what our favorite existing ones are. And the option to manually add badges.

Feedback: it's nice to have self service badges. I'm just bummed out you can't completely phase out / remove old badges, and in the profile section of posts the wrong "badge+1" still shows up.
Hi,

another idea is to assign badges based on the role a user holds. This would be a quite easy workaround in order to assign badges to specific users only.

Cheers,

Esther
Badge
@Esther Groth Could you post your idea in Ideation? I would vote 10 times on it if I could. Seems so logical and useful to implement 🙂
Badge
1) I'm a little disappointed that you can't enable and disable badges from the overview - it's such a hassle to manage it now.

2) The stats about badges are bare-bones. The overview just tells you how many times a badge has been rewarded and you can't even sort the numbers. That's a bummer.

3) Most importantly, you should be able to remove and rebuild badges in my opinion. Right now, badges work like an abacus. It's a simple rigid implementation, which can make the output look cluttered and renders a badge overhaul impossible :/

These are relatively small gripes and I'm already spamming Insided with Ideas, so I'm just going to leave it at this comment 🙂
Badge
Thanks @Esther Groth and @Jurgen for sharing your feedback - it'll be really useful for us to improve your experience with badges 🙂

@Jurgen: 'remove and rebuild badges' - just to check, by 'remove', do you mean completely remove a badge from the community (e.g. remove it from all members who ever received it)? And what's your exact meaning when you say 'rebuild badges'? My assumption is that you've got a bunch of old badges which you no longer want on the community at all anymore.
@Esther Groth Could you post your idea in Ideation? I would vote 10 times on it if I could. Seems so logical and useful to implement :)

Here you go: https://community.insided.com/ideas/516
Badge
Thanks @Esther Groth and @Jurgen for sharing your feedback - it'll be really useful for us to improve your experience with badges :)

@Jurgen: 'remove and rebuild badges' - just to check, by 'remove', do you mean completely remove a badge from the community (e.g. remove it from all members who ever received it)? And what's your exact meaning when you say 'rebuild badges'? My assumption is that you've got a bunch of old badges which you no longer want on the community at all anymore.

Yes, removing completely. And rebuilding is to fix the order of badges in user profiles. You're forced to accept badges being added from left to right now.
Hi,

If we add the level based badges (e.g. White Belt->Yellow Belt->Orange Belt->Green Belt->Blue Belt-> Purple Belt) for the amount of topics created by an user, will the existing badge be replaced by new one? Or it'll just stack up the the whole badge level on the profile page when reaches to superior?

Cheers, Piyush
Hi,

If we add the level based badges (e.g. White Belt->Yellow Belt->Orange Belt->Green Belt->Blue Belt-> Purple Belt) for the amount of topics created by an user, will the existing badge be replaced by new one? Or it'll just stack up the the whole badge level on the profile page when reaches to superior?

Cheers, Piyush

Never mind. Found the answer!