What notification e-mails are sent to members?

This topic was last updated on 05.August.2020

You might ask yourself which notification emails are being sent from the platform. This topic provides an overview of all emails.

Account

Activation Email (not for SSO-Login)

A user will receive this email after a visitor registers on your community. The user has to manually activate his/her account in order to become active on the community (until then, the user will have the primary role "User awaiting email confirmation" and will not be able to be active on the community).

Example

9bd17b8f-2f52-450b-81b7-b3764b7115d0.png

Confirmation Email (also for SSO-Login)

This email is triggered once a user has confirmed his/her account via email, or, for SSO-login, after a user has chosen a username and agreed to the terms & conditions.

Tip: Check our inSpired notification for a good example of activating content!

Example

f1da17f4-ee2b-409b-97b6-0e8bd21c12f0.png

Community Activity

This email informs a user that a new topic (article, discussion, question, idea) has been started in a subforum. This email only goes to these users who have subscribed to a subforum (button at the top right of a subforum).
Note: This mail will also be sent for topics which are being moved to a subforum, the community counts this as a new topic.

Example

f8befec0-ba07-44b0-870c-1e4a4ad19a3e.png

New reply

This email will be received by users who:

• have been active in a topic (topic starter or commenter)
  • have subscribed to a topic (button top right)

When you receive this notification, you will not receive any other notification emails about this topic until you visit that topic again. After you have visited the topic again (while being logged in) the system will reset and send a notification again for the first new activity.

Example

d74bbc49-62e3-4402-863a-c91e307574e9.png

Topic answered
Here the same rules apply as for the "new reply"-notification, with the small difference that it only will be delivered once a reply has been marked as the valid answer.

Example

89025fcd-67ad-4e1b-af36-b3ca7510b14a.png

User-specific

@-mention

This notification will be triggered by @-mentions within a topic and will be sent to that user. Note that this specific notification will be send regardless of any other notifications, so it could happen that a "new reply"-notification and an "@-mention"-notification will be sent at the same time. In order to not annoy users, I would recommend you to only mention users when they are not active in a topic (or not have been active for a while).

Example

c180071a-002f-4251-8ec3-a8170ccf0ae7.png

Private message

This notification is there to notify users of a new private message. Users will receive a new notification for every new private message.

Example

d6420aa2-1f4c-4be8-ba77-5684c740f7f2.png

Groups & Events:

New event

When a new event is created within a group, the platform will notify all members about it.

Additional topics you might want to read now:

How to improve an email notification

Activate your community with inSpiring notification emails

15 replies

I can see these emails in the Control section General Settings > Phrases. However, I can't see the email summary. In our German forum the summary uses the formal 'you' while the rest of the email uses the informal 'you'. Is there any way to edit the summary myself?

Sie werden in MSR - Tickets erwähnt

Hallo, Jürgen,

MarcBy hat Dich in MSR - Tickets erwähnt. Schau doch mal rein!
Hey Jürgen, is this the phrase you are looking for? https://tomtom-de.insided.com/settings/translation/edit?id=156. Sounds like its the @mentions email notification you wish to change.
Yes, that's the one. But as mail.user.mentioned.body states it only lets you edit the body of the message, not the summary. Where do I find the summary?

Here you go - https://tomtom-de.insided.com/settings/translation/edit/170
Indeed. I didn't find that one. Thanks! 🙂
Hi,

Is this list of notification mails updated ?

How did you find the summary @Jürgen J ? I searched for "mail" (search bar) in Phrases but not sure it's the best way to do.

Thanks for your help !
Hi,

Is this list of notification mails updated ?

How did you find the summary @Jürgen J ? I searched for "mail" (search bar) in Phrases but not sure it's the best way to do.

Thanks for your help !

It's in General Settings > Phrases where it's listed as mail.user.mentioned.subject.

Earlier this week I noticed that it was missing in the list of phrases on our French forum so I created one.
Hi all,

Is there a way to send the Activation mail a second time? Or a reminder mail? In the user export I see a lot of unverified accounts and I'm looking for a way to get them to verify their accounts. If you have any ideas or best practices, i'd love to hear. 🙂

Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey Amy!

Currently, only the user him/herself can trigger that email to be send again. When such a user is logged in on the community, this is being displayed underneath the featured topics:

On inSpired (a closed community only visible with activation code) this will be displayed:

You can filter by role in the "user overview" within the Control Environment, to see the list of unactivated accounts. There you can also change their status to "Registered user" if you like to (however I would not recommend to do this for many users).

If you would combine this with a notification to be sent for the very first rank (like we do on this community), you would automatically trigger an automated notification, in case you have defined one.

Having said this, I also would like to see an automated notification (something like "Hey! You forgot to activate your account!") to be send after x amount of hours, to make sure that they do not miss out. Maybe we can include such an improvement in the future, I will certainly lobby for this internally. ;)

But also be aware that some of those unactivated accounts might be fake accounts not connected to a real email address. So even another notification would not activate these users for you. For this reason, unactivated accounts are also not being counted in your indicator on the homepage.

Should you have more questions, just let me know!

Cheers,

Julian
Hey Julian,

Thanks for your comprehensive answer!

Having said this, I also would like to see an automated notification (something like "Hey! You forgot to activate your account!") to be send after x amount of hours, to make sure that they do not miss out. Maybe we can include such an improvement in the future, I will certainly lobby for this internally. ;)

⬆️ This would be great 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Is there a setting that would show the message body of a private message received by email?

And can the sender´s rank to be added to the email?

Question about the Confirmation Email (also for SSO-Login) what happens if users are auto-registered? The explanation here is that it sends for SSO-Login “after a user has chosen a username and agreed to the terms & conditions” but the flow for auto-registration in here states that if a username, email, and ID are sent over the user is auto-registered and then auto-logged in, skipping have to choose a username, certainly. Are these users not ever being met with a T&S and do they receive this same confirmation email? 

@-mention

This notification will be triggered by @-mentions within a topic and will be sent to that user. Note that this specific notification will be send regardless of any other notifications, so it could happen that a "new reply"-notification and an "@-mention"-notification will be sent at the same time. In order to not annoy users, I would recommend you to only mention users when they are not active in a topic (or not have been active for a while).

I wanted to follow up and clarify this part of the article. My question is that if we tag an individual in post or comment will they be alerted every time there is a new reply or comment on that topic, even if they aren’t re-tagged in the comment or the new comment doesn’t apply to them (they tagged individual is not the author of the post either)?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

They get notification every time they are tagged, no matter will they go to the topic to read it or not.

New comment notification comes only once, if they dont read the comment in the community.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

New reply

This email will be received by users who:

• have been active in a topic (topic starter or commenter)
  • have subscribed to a topic (button top right)

When you receive this notification, you will not receive any other notification emails about this topic until you visit that topic again. After you have visited the topic again (while being logged in) the system will reset and send a notification again for the first new activity.

Have you done changes for this notification?
I am asking this because I have not received notifications about new reply. I receive notification for example when someone have mentioned me or I got new PM.

Support said that reason for this is that I have not clicked the link from email, to read the reply in the community?

This is weird because I have not ever clicked link from email but still I have received notifications, if I have visited in the topic while logged in. But I dont receive them any more.

So how this actually should go?