Until now, compliance with the EU Cookie law simply meant placing a statement at the bottom or top of your website, that lets the user know cookies are being used. You might be familiar with the famous phrase “By using this website, you accept cookies” or something similar. This informed users that cookies were used, it’s true, but it did not give them an alternative option.
The GDPR that goes into effect on May 25th, 2018 aims to change this, by giving users a real and informed choice.
According to GDPR what needs to change?
- Users must have a choice in which level of cookies they want to accept. The fact that they use a website does not mean they agree to all cookies.
- Consenting to cookies needs to be a clear affirmative action.
- Opt-out should be in place. Users should be able to withdraw consent as easily as they gave it.
We updated our Cookie Component. Until now, visitors could only accept cookies. But users did not know which cookies they accepted. We now provide 3 cookie levels for users: Basic, Normal, Complete. Users can select which cookies they want to accept. Community members and non-members can change their cookie preferences by deleting them via the internet options of your browser and visiting the community again. You will then be asked to choose your settings again.
- Basic = only functional cookies are applied that are needed to make the community work
- Normal = functional cookies + analytics. We will activate Google Analytics to gather data anonymously
- Complete = functional cookies + analytics + social media + embedded videos. This is the full experience, all features and functionalities of the community will work.
When a visitor enters your community he will see the Cookie Component as a banner, at this stage we set Cookie level 1: Basic.
When the visitor continues browsing the component will stay in place and the user remains in Cookie level 1: Basic.
When the visitors clicks the Accept button we will set him to Cookie level 3: Complete
When the visitor clicks the cookie settings url a modal will appear in which he can set his cookie level. The pre-filled and preferred level is set to 3: Complete
What do you need to do?