release

[Update] Enriching categories on homepage with category description

[Update] Enriching categories on homepage with category description
We will add the description of category pages to the homepage. This will be added Wednesday February 13.

Why are we doing this

We are working on making the category page more valuable. We will make the category page clickable so that your users can visit it and see the nested subcategories as well as a collection of the topics that belong to those subcategories. Adding the description of a category page can give more context about what a category is about, at the moment this field is available in the Control environment but not visible anywhere on the platform.

FAQ

Q: How will descriptions look like?

A: Example of category "Welcome" with description "Category description will be displayed here". Descriptions are plain text displayed in the meta color.

Q: How do I add descriptions?

A: You can review and adjust category descriptions in Control > Forum Settings > Forum structure. Edit a top category level, define a description and click save.

Q: When will I see the descriptions on my homepage?

Wednesday February 13

Q: Is it required to provide and show a description?

No it isn't. If you leave the description field empty it won't display anything

Update I – 13 February

Category descriptions are now available on your production environment
It's a nice feature.

What I really, really like about this announcement though: You gave us a specific date. That makes it so much easier for me to prepare and block time on the 13th. Thank you!
Category descriptions are now available on your production environment
Important information for all customers: The category description field has been there all the time, only the content hasn't been displayed yet. So if you previously filled any description fields with text, then they are now live on your community!

Source: Me and some test description text I put in months ago.
Good point. I hinted at that in the opening post "...at the moment this field is available in the Control environment but not visible anywhere on the platform...". But this might haven't been clear enough.
This is a major improvement. What you could do to improve even more, is allow also the forums to show the description at the homepage. Like this:

Nice mockup 😉 This is not planned for our first release. We'll consider your suggestion, we need more data that this is wanted. Our preferred choice is to keep the categories stream as light-weight as possible 🙂
@Yoeri this is not a mockup, it's a print screen. It's live on our community Moche Fórum 😉. We did it with some code.
Nicely done! Great to see that you were able to do this with the help of some custom code