Announcement

Upcoming changes to topic moderation due to core platform improvements

Related products: CC Moderation

Over the next couple of weeks we’ll be rolling out an update with some core improvements to our platform.

Since we’re migrating one-by-one to ensure a smooth transition, your community might receive this update earlier or later than other communities, sometime in the next few weeks.

Most of the changes will be silent/unnoticeable and mainly concern improving the stability, consistency, and quality of the inSided platform.

However, there are a few changes to topic moderation which will take effect once your community has been updated:

Converting the topic type of questions/conversations

• To convert a question to a conversation (and vice versa), we will no longer show the 'contains question' switch.

• Instead, to convert between these content types on the topic moderation page, you'll need to go to More options > Convert to conversation (or Convert to question).

Moving multiple replies to a brand-new topic

• It will no longer be possible to move multiple replies in one go to a brand-new topic.

• To achieve this, you first need to ‘promote’ a reply to a new topic, and then move the replies in a second transaction.

• We’d like to improve the user experience of this part of the moderation workflow (related ideas like this are on our radar). This didn’t fall under the scope of our core improvements, which are more focused on platform stability/consistency/quality.

• To help us assess the priority of improving this, it would be great to hear real-world examples of how you use this feature and how often.

Moving the opening post of a question/conversation/article

• It is no longer possible to create a brand-new topic from the opening post of an existing topic (we hope you’ll agree with us that this makes very little sense) 🦆.

• You’ll only be able to move the opening post of a topic to another topic if the topic has no visible replies.

Moving replies to an existing question/conversation

• It’s now possible to move opening posts/replies from one topic to another topic without replacing the opening post of the topic you’re moving to, even if the opening post/reply that you're moving is older than the opening post. This change was based on the feedback in this idea and based on the fact that moving an opening post to a topic is essentially ‘convert to reply’.

• At first, this will only be possible for conversations/questions (not articles).

• We have the same behaviour changes planned for articles, which will be available at the same time moving replies to/from articles becomes available again. We'll update the idea that inspired this change once it's available for all content types.

Changes to moderator approval of posts by new users (aka ‘Pending Posts’)

• If you enable the pending posts feature, then until you turn it off all posts submitted to the community will become ‘pending’ (not visible, awaiting explicit approval by a moderator).

• Beforehand, if a user had been active on the community (created a new topic or replied to an existing topic), they were exempt from the pending posts system. Now, it affects posts by everyone except moderators, community managers, and administrators.

• Since launching Akismet, we haven’t seen any demand for this feature due to the lowered incidence of spam on our platform.

• If you foresee these changes to pending posts as a problem, please give your opinion below.

Character limit per post - enforcing a 30k limit

• This will become standardised at 30k characters.

• This limit is liable to change (increase) in the future - it is currently limited to 30k due to a need on our side to optimise performance.

• We’d love to hear from you below if you find 30k characters too limiting! We’ve heard specific feedback about the need to increase the length due to the need to include code samples/logs in posts.

⚠️ Just to be clear: this update is not live on any of your Control environments yet.

We expect this update (and the changes detailed above) to be rolled out on your community anytime from the beginning from the middle of this week until towards the middle of December.

Please share your opinions on these changes. If there’s any change here that will negatively impact your experience as a daily or weekly Control moderator then we want to hear from you, so that we can improve it in the future.
Small update on this - it's now possible for you to know whether you're running on the new version of our platform when you're in Control.

Look out for this big blue create a new topic button - if you have that, you're running on the new platform, and the above changes to moderation already apply to you 🙂.

Hi Daniel,

I'm on the new version of the platform but I think i'm missing the option to convert a topic to a question (on the Huawei Community)?🤔
Hi Amy,

I double-checked on your community to be sure. It's not gone, it has just moved a bit:

So luckily, you still have the option here. ;)

Happy Holidays!

Julian
Ahh yes! Found it 😃 Thanks Julian!

Happy Holidays! 🎄
Is 'marking as spam' for topics also disabled?
Is 'marking as spam' for topics also disabled?

Hey Jurgen - do you mean (1) 'mark as spam' on the topic page itself, or (2) 'mark as spam' on the topic overview? 🙂

Is 'marking as spam' for topics also disabled?Hey Jurgen - do you mean (1) 'mark as spam' on the topic page itself, or (2) 'mark as spam' on the topic overview? :)

Topic page itself

Topic page itself

'Mark as spam' on an individual topic page has never actually been available. The Telfort community also isn't yet running on the improved platform, FYI (watch out for the big blue create topic button ;)).

Is this something you'd find valuable? To me, it seems quite illogical that it's not available on the topic moderation page but only on the topic overview screen.
To be honest, I simply forgot how to mark spam and in my mind this was possible.

The topic overview screen would be a logical place in my opinion, but if it costs a considerable amount of development time I wouldn't spend it 🙂
Does the change also include a 'convert to blog article' option?
Does the change also include a 'convert to blog article' option?

Hi Stephan - I assume you mean converting a question/reply/conversation to an article? If so, that's not included within the scope of these changes.
@daniel.boon will we be able to convert things to articles? We just had this conversation in our team meeting yesterday when we discussed the forum.

There are a number of users that share news type stuff and it might be nice to have the chance to turn these into articles, rather than conversations, especially as then it feels like those users are more part of our community as they are able to post articles too.
Hey Darran,

No that's not currently in scope for these changes, although I do understand your use case!

We have some similar ideas from other customers here:

• https://community.insided.com/ideas/502

• https://community.insided.com/ideas/396

Thanks @daniel.boon voted on both, we'd love to have this feature!
Maybe it is worth mentioning that these improvements are not part of these changes as these changes are done with the focus to "decouple" old code (so basically "untangle" older code to make it more easy to improve).

While some smaller improvements have been included, the actual goal was to improve the foundation the platform is working with, so that the platform is more stable and easy to work with in the future.

This means that by performing these changes, ideas like yours will be easier for our team to implement without running the risk of breaking other aspects of the platform.

Hope that this makes it a bit more clearer.