Release

šŸ„‡šŸ„ˆšŸ„‰ Target the competitive spirit of your members with a points-based leaderboard

Related products: CC Gamification & Engagement
šŸ„‡šŸ„ˆšŸ„‰ Target the competitive spirit of your members with a points-based leaderboard

Weā€™re happy to announceĀ the release of aĀ points-based leaderboard -Ā Ā another tool to help youĀ activate yourĀ community members. The leaderboardĀ provides a weekly race to the top, with a chance for all of your community members to participate. You can find an example on the inSpired homepage, if you havenā€™t already spotted it.

With the points-based leaderboard you can:

āœ…Ā Configure custom points values for 5 activity types on the community (best answers, replies, topics, likes given & received).

āœ…Ā Build customised point-based leaderboards for your community homepage (choose # of users to display, time ranges, and exclude user roles).
āœ…Ā Award points to a userĀ via APIĀ (enabling you to reward users forĀ actions outside of the community platform).

Find out how the points-based leaderboardĀ works and how to set it up here:Ā https://community.insided.com/super-user-engagement-112/how-to-set-up-a-points-based-leaderboard-1982
ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹

Thanks toĀ @lila_meyerĀ andĀ @ranjanĀ &Ā @ChrisPantelisĀ for beta testing the points-based leaderboard on the Gainsight & Koodo communities! And extra kudos toĀ @ChrisPantelisĀ for suggesting thisĀ idea on inSpiredšŸ’”.

Weā€™d love to hear your feedback on this new feature, so pleaseĀ let us know what you think in the replies!

Iā€™d be very curious to know from other inSided customers: How many points do you assign to which of the five actions?

This is what weā€™re using:

Ā 

These values make sense for us because we want to encourage members toĀ respond to and help one another. In the past, we allotted more points to creating a new topic, and I could see otherā€™s wanting to more heavily reward that activity too.

Iā€™m happy to have the new points leaderboard, and I wrote up some of my key requests for the v2 here, in case anyone would like to up-vote it.Ā :slight_smile:

@lila_meyerĀ Thank you for providing your values! May I ask why you decided to award the same points for a comment and a solution?

We want to encourage replying to others and this often involves sharing a solution. We also have a hard time keeping up with reviewing the replies, so we may not get around to marking something as the best answer. I definitely think the points allocation is more an art than a science, and there are good arguments to support a variety of options.Ā 

I definitely think the points allocation is more an art than a science, and there are good arguments to support a variety of options.Ā 

Oh yes, I agree! And this also means that you canā€™t ever make it right for everybody. ;)

Morning!

I was wondering if there is a way to put a cap on the various points they can receive? We have some users that are manipulating the leaderboard by giving specific users every like they can give, just to make sure that other users are not on top of the board.. This beats the purpose of the leaderboard in my opinion, so I was wondering if there will be an option to prevent this? I was thinking something like 10 likes per day, for example.Ā 

I'm also wondering how it's working for other communities? We're quite happy about this new feature, but we're also experiencing some negative effect (on our Superusers mainly).Ā 

Have a good weekend!:slight_smile:

Hi David, I work with a B2B community, so we just donā€™t see such juvenile behavior. Iā€™m sorry you have to deal with it! I can see why tools to prevent it would be helpful. Do you also send warnings to these users and/or temporarily ban them?Ā 

I was wondering if there is a way to put a cap on the various points they can receive? [...]Ā I was thinking something like 10 likes per day, for example.Ā 

Happy to hear youā€™re using the leaderboard - not so happy to hear about the negative effect with your superusers. Maybe @ranjanĀ or @ChrisPantelisĀ from Koodo can provide some information about whether theyā€™ve had to deal with this in the past, given their superusers are very competitive on the leaderboard!

There isnā€™t currently a way to put a cap on points - the anti-cheating measures we currently have in place are simple behaviours around likes/best answers (if you remove a like/best answer, the points are revoked).

Ā 

We have some users that are manipulating the leaderboard by giving specific users every like they can give, just to make sure that other users are not on top of the board.. This beats the purpose of the leaderboard in my opinion, so I was wondering if there will be an option to prevent this? I was thinking something like 10 likes per day, for example.Ā 

I'm also wondering how it's working for other communities? We're quite happy about this new feature, but we're also experiencing some negative effect (on our Superusers mainly).Ā 

Yeah, we had that issue before. I donā€™t think behaviour like this necessarily needs to be dealt with a technical solution, but more with active Community Management. We added something like ā€œDonā€™t misuse the community toolsā€ to our Netiquette - after we got in touch with the users who did this, in order to let them know that we know and that we donā€™t approve. It stopped right after that.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for getting back to you this late! The childish behavior of giving only each other likes has stopped after a week or 2, so that's not a problem anymore.

However, we are contemplating if weā€™re gonna keep the current point system or go back to just a ā€œlike-boardā€. We have one reaaaaally active member, who finishes as #1 every week since we started this board. When we simply just had likes he would reach #1 often, but now it's just a landslide every week..Ā :sweat_smile: Ā Hopefully some dashboard or insights in the leaderboard will be added in the future, so we can do a bit more research.

Example of this week (and it's only Wednesday morning!):Ā 

Ā 

Oh well, he does help a lot of people!Ā :grin::thumbsup: