Coming soon

Highlight content in different categories with our content curation functionality

Highlight content in different categories with our content curation functionality

Another major step forward in providing access to all the help and guidance your users need to find the right information, meet our content curation capability for category pages.

Very soon company validated content (articles, guides and support material) can be pinned to the top of your category page in a knowledge base stream. What follows is a community stream with user generated content (conversations, questions answers). This way you will be able to combine your company’s support materials with community generated answers and best practices — all in one category page.

Here is how it looks:

8bc0c4d0-0d1b-4ffc-9788-ad1ee6344eca.jpg

Category page with a curated list (knowledge base) of topics on top followed by a community list

You can see some examples on inSpired in the following categories: News & platform updates, How to's, SEO, traffic and integrations

How does this benefit you?

First, you want to give your official content the stage that it needs. It will make it easier for your users to differentiate official content from user-generated content and keep them from searching too long for the right information. This is the best spot for e.g. product-specific documentation or your best tutorials. With this category setup, users won't have to dig around, click in multiple places and browse different sources to find the information they need.

Second, we often heard the request to highlight your own knowledge base articles. We came up with the unified content stream, but then your KB articles might be swamped with other questions. We see customers like to use the community as their central help center. We see that a lot of great content is created by your companies. Content to inform, to inspire, to help and to train your users. Whatever the reason is, this content deserves to be in the spotlight.

Last, with this functionality you have full freedom over how many topics you want to highlight and in which order, because we know how important having control and an easy navigation is.

74423b1f-8baa-4159-971f-3886f9e49d21.jpg

Configuration in Control vs. How it looks in your category page

What are the capabilities of this feature?

These are the key capabilities

• Add a curated list to any category
  • Highlight content (no max. amount)
  • Highlight topics from any category
  • Show / hide list of community topics
  • Determine in which order topics should be listed
  • Define a title
  • Clean design focussed on read- and scannability
  • Collapse / expand the curated list
  • Optional to use. If you don’t want to make us of this functionality you don’t have to (but we think you will ;))

FAQ

Q: How does this curated list look like?
A: As a small stream of topics. This list is on top of the category page followed by the community list.

Q: When should I use this?
A: When you have company official content in categories with a lot of user activity. Especially when official content is read-only, as it will not move to the first page by itself. Use this to highlight product-specific documentation or your best tutorials. Here in inSpired we use it to set up a category page as a Knowledge base and to enrich community focussed categories with Knowledge base sections.

3dbf36cd-0421-4d1d-8e0d-976b7cb7ce55.jpg

Curated list examples used as Knowledge base

Q: How many topics can I highlight
A: Unlimited, although we recommend not to highlight more than 10 topics at once.

Q: Does the topic that I want to put in my curated list need to belong to the same category?
No. You can pick any topic from any category and highlight it. This means that Topic A, which is published in Category A, can be highlighted in Category X,Y & Z as well.

Q: Can I set up a pure Knowledge base without user-generated content
Yes. You can create a pure Knowledge base category in 3 simple steps:

1. Configure a curated list of topics
  2. Hide the community list of topics
  3. Configure the permission so that only moderators and community managers are allowed to post
  4. (optional) Revoke commenting permissions from all users to use the category as a pure communication channel

The feature is added on our Staging Environment. I put content in the knowledge base list, activated it but the list isn't shown in the frontend. Am I doing something wrong?
Great feature. On mobile the last topic in the new-content-curation-functionality seems to be cut off a bit. You might want to look into that.
The feature is added on our Staging Environment. I put content in the knowledge base list, activated it but the list isn't shown in the frontend. Am I doing something wrong?

I've send you a PM in regards to this.

Great feature. On mobile the last topic in the new-content-curation-functionality seems to be cut off a bit. You might want to look into that.

Thanks, we'll have a look
When a knowledge base article has a featured image, this image is displayed (expected behaviour). But it isn't wrapped in a link so clicking / tapping on the image doesn't open the article.
The titles within the knowledge base list are colored with the "Text color". I propose they should be colored with the "Heading color" instead. This way they have the same color as the titles in the topic list below.
When an article is added to the knowledge list, the label says "Article by" and I can't find the phrase to translate it.

(Sorry for submitting the feedback one issue by one.)
No worries, keep them coming 😉 I'll provide an update later next week to report back on the feedback in this topic 🙂
Neat execution.

The profile icon is located on the right of the username in this stream, resulting in OCD on my part since it's on the left everywhere else. Anyone else bothered by that? 😅

Also, have you considered enabling multiple streams? E.g. one for news and one for tips & tricks.
Quick questions:

The feature is supposed to be able to "Collapse / expand the curated list". I can't see any option / indicator to do this.

Will the curated list always be shown in full (e.g. showing all 10 entries per default, if 10 entries have been added)? Or is there a function to only show the first (e.g.) three/four entries, but the user can expand the list to show all?
I also saw this morning that I was unable to collapse the list, however I see it is back now - also in your staging environment.

I like your suggestion about limiting the number of content displayed / being able to expand, this is not possible at the moment. Maybe Yoeri can share his thoughts on this here?
Thanks @Julian!

Another design issue:

The header of every block has a different layout (h3 vs. h4, font-color, position of the counter). This should be consistent.

edit: In a previous version I also mentioned the font-size. But this is due to our custom CSS and no inSided issue. I also added the discrepancies in the html.
More good feedback for @Yoeri, thanks for sharing it! 🙂
We're reviewing all feedback, tomorrow I'll have an update on actions we'll take 🙂
Ok, a day later - but here it is 😉 These are the items we've changed already and the things we still want to do:

• Improve responsive behaviour so that the list of topics won't look 'cut off' when you resize your browser

• Make the whole 'container' a clickable area. This way you can click anywhere to open the topic. On :hover the topic title will be highlighted. Clicking the username will take you to the user profile page.

• Moved avatar in front of the username

• Apply "Heading color" to the Knowledge base title

• Add translations and phrases to the metadata

• Add topic counter behind Knowledge base title

• In control the possibility to add topics via copy+paste topic URL

Have you considered enabling multiple streams? E.g. one for news and one for tips & tricks.

We have, see the attachment below of a mockup. First we want to see the adoption and usage of one list before we consider to enable multiple streams.

The feature is supposed to be able to "Collapse / expand the curated list".

This should be available again :)

Will the curated list always be shown in full

Correct, the full list of topics will be shown

Expected release date is still set to May 20.
Some of issues reported don't seem to have been addressed:

• titles of list items seem to have a "hard coded" color: #1a1a1a; instead of the "Branded Color" -> The links in the Knowledge Base have a different color than the links in the thread list (activity stream below)

• Knowledge Base title is an h4 and uses the "Heading Color" -> the title of the thread list (activity stream below) is a h3 that uses the "Text Color"

Nice detailed feedback Björn, we'll look into it! 👍

Expected release date is still set to May 20.

The function seems not to have been released yet on our community.
The function seems not to have been released yet on our community.

Can you check again? 🙂
Can confirm, it is activated now!