Announcement

Retiring the 'Survey' feature.

Related products: CC Topic Creation

Why are surveys being retired?

Since we launched 'Surveys', we haven't seen the usage/adoption we'd hoped for. We also haven't invested the time needed to improve Surveys, since it no longer fits with our vision for the inSided platform.

For these reasons, we plan to retire the Survey feature from our platform.

What's changing?

The first step we'll take will be to disable the creation of new surveys on our platform. We will disable the creation of new surveys from Friday 14 December onwards.

However, we'll provide you with an alternative (one which we believe you'll find superior to our current feature). You'll gain the ability to embed Typeform surveys in your post.

As soon as we retire the ability to create a survey, we will simultaneously release the option to embed a Typeform survey in posts. We'll announce this change on inSpired once it's available.

What will happen to my existing surveys?

For the time being, your existing surveys will be preserved as they are. Our next step in retiring the Survey feature will be to remove existing surveys from the platform - however, we'll provide with a clear timeframe for this step (in a later update) so that you'll be able to save any data that you'd still like to keep from your surveys.

Sidenote: the 'Poll' feature isn't going anywhere and will still be available for you to use.

Please let us know if you have any questions!
@Samuel Meek We need to consider that in our planning for the Community. As this feature will not be available for us soon.
@Samuel Meek We need to consider that in our planning for the Community. As this feature will not be available for us soon.

No problem, @Claudia.Willunat . I will create a Typeform account and will get familiar with this.
Hi Daniel,

You'll gain the ability to embed Typeform surveys in your post.

From your statement I understand that Typeform will be better integrated in the survey post than other applications, i.e. that would be the benefit of using Typeform over an other survey vendor, right?

Connected to that: do you have a Commissioned Data Processing agreement (CDP) in place with Typeform? I'd think that from a GDPR perspective Typeform be a subprocessor to you and therefore such a document would need to be in place?

Cheers,

Florian
Hi Daniel,

You'll gain the ability to embed Typeform surveys in your post.
From your statement I understand that Typeform will be better integrated in the survey post than other applications, i.e. that would be the benefit of using Typeform over an other survey vendor, right?

Connected to that: do you have a Commissioned Data Processing agreement (CDP) in place with Typeform? I'd think that from a GDPR perspective Typeform be a subprocessor to you and therefore such a document would need to be in place?

Cheers,

Florian

Hi @Florian,

This is a good point and some clarity on this would be appreciated. Similarly, @Claudia.Willunat and I discussed potential issues with embedding a third-party survey tool.

@daniel.boon I was testing a mock survey on Typeform this morning and the way reports can be generated are excellent, however the issue with this is that anyone could fill it out if they know the URL. Our community requires an SSO and will only be accessible to those that use our products and services, given that we have a strict adherence to the UK FCA regulations and our surveys would fall under this (customer feedback).

Would you be able to give some clarity as to how surveys would be embedded on the InSided platform? I am assuming that the survey would need to be live in the public domain before this is embedded in a post (much like a YouTube video link)? If this is the case, we simply cannot use the survey feature in this format unfortunately. It would also mean that the data would be unreliable as we could not differentiate between a genuine user or someone external submitting the results.

If there was a disgruntled client, they could potentially fill out negative feedback over and over again to discredit us (or similarly, an over-enthusiastic advocate of our product may decide to keep sending positive feedback), hence another reason why we would wish to isolate this.

Thank you,

Sam

Correct! Typeform is the only survey vendor we currently plan to offer, but if there's demand we could in the future look into more options.

Since you (our customer) are the owner of the Typeform account & data and since we don't actually touch any of the data - all we offer is the ability for a Typeform to be embedded in a post - then inSided does not need a CDP in place to be GDPR-compliant.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether you would need to request a Data Processing Agreement from Typeform.

I collected the following FAQ in case they're helpful.

How does TypeForm handle data security and privacy?

If you don't want to store the data on TypeForm servers, you can use the Responses API to send the data somewhere else AND delete the data from their platform (and servers). The data will be erased immediately from their main servers and will be deleted from their backup servers after 30 days.
Would you be able to give some clarity as to how surveys would be embedded on the InSided platform? I am assuming that the survey would need to be live in the public domain before this is embedded in a post (much like a YouTube video link)?

That's correct @Samuel Meek. I'm not super knowledgable about restricting access to Typeform surveys, but I believe there will always be a public URL 😕.

Would you be able to give some clarity as to how surveys would be embedded on the InSided platform? I am assuming that the survey would need to be live in the public domain before this is embedded in a post (much like a YouTube video link)?That's correct @Samuel Meek. I'm not super knowledgable about restricting access to Typeform surveys, but I believe there will always be a public URL 😕.

No problem, thanks for clarifying @daniel.boon 🙂
We have now removed the ability to create a new survey on our platform 😵.

Unfortunately we still need to do a tiny bit more work to get Typeform enabled across all of your communities - we expect this to become available early next week! Sorry for the delay.
Typeform integration is now available, read more here: https://community.insided.com/news-platform-updates-16/retiring-the-survey-module-announcing-integration-with-typeform-1172

Connected to that: do you have a Commissioned Data Processing agreement (CDP) in place with Typeform? I'd think that from a GDPR perspective Typeform be a subprocessor to you and therefore such a document would need to be in place?Since you (our customer) are the owner of the Typeform account & data and since we don't actually touch any of the data - all we offer is the ability for a Typeform to be embedded in a post - then inSided does not need a CDP in place to be GDPR-compliant.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether you would need to request a Data Processing Agreement from Typeform.

Hi @daniel.boon ,

yes, it would be my understanding as well that for using Typeform a Data Processing Agreement with Typeform would be needed to achieve conformity with GDPR.

For us, this rules out using Typeform. So in the end we don't have a survey functionality in the community any longer...

Cheers,

Florian
Hi @daniel.boon

Reading the comment from @Florian, and checking with our compliance department, we also would not be able to use Typeform.

Which is a shame as we had already planned to use the feature in the coming weeks, to find out if our customers are happy with the Community.
Hi Claudia,

Thanks for reaching out. It's unfortunate that your compliance department doesn't allow for the use of Typeform. Regarding feedback on the community we do offer two alternatives though:

• We just released Topic Helpfulness. This will provide you with a great idea regarding satisfaction of content and value that the community provides.

• Instead of a survey, you can always run a Poll. Here you won't be able to identify each individual user that votes, but it will still give you a good overview of satisfaction of the community. Additionally you can ask users to provide more detailed feedback in an answer to the topic.

Hope this helps!

-Pascal