We added a new type of category that you can add to your community, meet News. This category type can best be described as a communication and information sending category as your company has full control over its contents.
- Only moderators, community managers and administrators can create topics in this category
- The default sorting order of this category is set to ‘Newest first’ - this will sort the list after latest published content and not after latest activity (this excludes sticky topics which will always be on the top)
- Registered users and super users can not post topics in this category, if you want to add a topic of your user to this category you can do so by moving the topic in the Control environment
Here are some examples on how and when to use a news category
- For official updates from your company
- For product release notes and changes (like we do here in the ‘News & platform updates’ category on inSpired)
- For your company blogposts that contain roundups, inspiration and interviews
Create a news category
Creating a news category, or converting a default category to a news category, is a piece of cake: Go to Control > Platform > Community and either add a new category, or edit an existing one.
Over time we will make changes to the UI of this News category (much like ideation and knowledge base categories have a different UI) and to the way topics are being displayed in the topic lists.
We hope you like this new category type and we look forward to see it in action in your communities, if you have a great use case please do share it with us in the comments below.