Release

Now available: Instant search and search filters

Now available: Instant search and search filters

Instant search and search filters are now available on your communities! As of now you will be able to narrow down search results and perform more specific search queries with the help of filters. We replaced the old search result page with a new page that includes a bunch of new and improved functionality. Can’t wait to see how it looks like and works?

View the new search page: https://community.insided.com/search

⚠️ In some edge cases the total topic counter may not reflect the counter in the filters, we are aware and are looking into these inconsistencies

What’s new

• Category search - searching in a category page will only show results from that specific category

• Instant search - the list of search results will automatically refresh after some time as you type in a search result page

• Endless scroll - when you reach the bottom of the list of result we’ll automatically load a new set of results

• Search filters - we added search filters to the search result pages that will allow you to filter on:

• Source

• Community (shows all topics posted to community categories)

• inSided Knowledge base (shows all topics posted to inSided knowledge base categories)

• External Knowledge base* (shows all topics from an external Knowledge base like Zendesk or Salesforce)

• Knowledge base categories

• Filter topics by knowledge base parent- and child categories

• Community categories

• Filter topics by community parent- and child categories

• Topic type

• Filter topics by article, idea, conversation, question

• Public tag

• Filter topics by one or more public tags

*Only visible when you have set up a Federated search integration with an external knowledge base

Thank you;

We’d like to thank everybody who helped us testing and providing feedback. We were able to include some of your feedback and fix inconsistencies. Thanks! 

Hi, 

The new seach is not visible at our community yet… or am I doing something wrong? :) 

Hi,

The new search page is visible for me in your community, check: https://community.infoland.nl/search?q=infoland :)

Looking good. Will it be possible to sort the results by date? That would be neat...

Thanks Paul, in this release it’s not possible to sort results by date. We’re planning to add sorting options and additional filters over time

This is the best update ever! Thanks team. 

I noticed in your email announcement that the screenshot shows filter options for questions that have best answers marked. Did this get rolled out? I don't see it in inSided. 

I'm also not seeing category specific search results on our community site. For example, if I navigate to our PX discussion category, and search for reporting, I still see results from across all of the categories.

Good catch Lila! ‘Questions with best answer’ hasn’t been rolled out, it’s on the backlog, together with more filter- and sort options. 

When you are in a category and start searching only the live-search dropdown will show results from that specific category. When you click the ‘View all’ it will bring you to the search result page showing results from the entire community.

Are you still considering or developing support for search by author? I noticed other customers have asked for it to be added to adv. filters, and a super user asked me about it today. 

We still have plans to add more filters – not sure if we will allow search by author. We’re thinking about adding a filter for ‘Show my contributions’ only, allowing the (super)user to search his own contents 

Users definitely want to see the complete list of topics they authored. But it also would be nice as a moderator to quickly find a post if I know the author, but not the title or subject necessarily. And I think end users also want to quickly locate articles written by a specific author. For example, we have an internal CSM, and people in our professional services team, who frequently write up “Tip of the week” type articles. Users may come to know their names and want to see everything they’ve authored.

Thanks for the additions. We do offer the possibility for users to look up a list of topics and replies they contributed. To look up your own topics and replies you can click these labels in your menu dropdown, here’s the list of topics I authored

To look up the topics authored by other users you can visit their profile pages and click the ‘Topics + counter’ URL. This will show me the topics that you authored.

To look up the topics authored by other users you can visit their profile pages and click the ‘Topics + counter’ URL. This will show me the topics that you authored.

But end users don’t have a consistent way to search by a user…?

You can not search for users by their username in search. The best way to look up a user is to start following them and they will appear in your following list.

• Category search - searching in a category page will only show results from that specific category

Is this still true? I tested on our community and I’m seeing results from our federated search skilljar plugs when searching on a category page? (note: this is the experience I want; I don’t want to limit search on a category page to just that category)