Release

📧 Notify colleagues via email when they're assigned a new topic

Related products: CC Notifications & Subscriptions

If you’re working with colleagues who aren’t in Control on a daily basis, this one’s for you - it’s now possible to configure email notifications to be sent to moderators when they are assigned a topic in Control.

With moderator assignment notifications, you can:

:white_check_mark: Alert moderators when they’ve been assigned to a new topic, including direct links to the topic in the frontend and Control, as well as the topic title/author, category, and a snippet of the content.

:white_check_mark: Turn on/off assignment notifications for your moderation team.

To turn on these email notifications for your moderation team, go to Control > Settings > Moderation > Moderation Notifications and flip the on switch 🔔.

An example email generated by assigning a moderator to a topic. ​​​​​​The subject line contains both the user who assigned the topic to you and the topic title (e.g.  “daniel boon assigned a topic to you: API: badges and date filter”)
This option is located in Control > Settings > Moderation > Moderation Notifications

Thanks @lila_meyer for submitting this as an idea on inSpired!

We hope you like this new feature - please share any feedback or questions you’ve got in the replies!

How can I change the template for this email? I would like to use this feature to alert internal stakeholders (company departments that aren’t directly involved in the daily community business) regarding feature requests, so I’d like to design the email accordingly. 

Given this email only goes out to Control users, we don’t offer customization options for this @bjoern_schulze. Can you provide some more background around why a standard template doesn’t meet your needs?

It’s a “nice to have”.

Like I said:

I would like to use this feature to alert internal stakeholders (company departments that aren’t directly involved in the daily community business) regarding feature requests

The basic idea is to use the “assign moderator” function in two ways:

1. The classic approach: Moderators assign tasks to each other
  2. The added approach: Moderator assign topics to internal stakeholders because the topic is about their product or process (e.g. app, billing)

What we want to do:

• The internal stakeholders (company departments) get user accounts in the community
  • when a user posts an idea or a feature request for one of our products or processes, we assign this topic to the according stakeholder
  • the stakeholder gets informed via email and is tasked with (re-)acting on this topic themselves

So ideally, in this email, I’d like to remove the inSided design and replace it with a community design as these stakeholders don’t know what inSided is. And maybe I would also put in some (links to) community guidance within that email in order for them to be better prepared to directly talk to our customers.

Would just like to add to @bjoern_schulze ‘s thoughts here - I have a related but distinct use case for this. My company has an existing support workflow that I would like to use this for - I want to alert the support team if there is a question that they should answer. I have a user account with the email registered as the support email address, which means all emails to that address go into a support queue. I will be providing training on how to spot these alerts and action them, but it would certainly help if I could customise this email so I could do the following:

• Brand it, so it wouldn’t be dismissed as spam or phishing
  • Include custom copy as a brief primer on what to expect
  • Link to internal resources on how to action these alerts
  • Include contact information for me if they need to know more

While all of those would be useful for the particular situation, I can see them being useful in other moderation contexts even if the alerts were going purely to the community team.