Release

Manage platform email notifications

You can now manage all email notifications in your settings page, this way you can (un)subscribe to emails for specific events. You've been waiting for this, but wait no longer.

How do I (un)subscribe to an email notification

Visit your profile page and click the 'Edit profile' button or directly click the 'Settings' option in your profile dropdown. Navigate to the 'Settings' tab in which you will find the following email notifications options:

Add topic to subscriptions which you reply to

Default setting: Yes

If you reply on a topic it will be added to your subscriptions. You can find your topic subscriptions in your profile dropdown > 'Settings'

Receive email notifications from your topic subscriptions

You will receive an email when there is a new reply in a topic that you are subscribed to. If you open the email and visit the topic you will continue receiving emails for new replies. If you ignore this email you will no longer receive emails for new replies on this topic.

Receive email notifications when a best answer is marked in your subscribed topics

You will receive an email when a topic that you are subscribed to receives a best answer.

Receive email notifications for new topics in your subscribed categories

You will receive an email every time there is a new topic posted in a category that you are subscribed to. Set this setting to NO works as a kill switch: you won't receive any emails for new topics anymore, even if you are still subscribed to individual categories.

Receive email notifications from @mentions

You will receive an email every time somebody @mentions you in a topic or reply

Receive email notifications for new private messages

You will receive an email every time somebody send you a private message

We have plans to organise the settings page so that it's easier to use. We might even create a separate 'Notifications' tab to organise your email notifications.
Thanks for the added settings! Are you planning on repositioning the settings in the list? I (and I think users too) would prefer to have all e-mail related options together.

edit: I see myself out. I should have read more carefully. Sorry.
Nice developments Yoeri,

What about "Receive email when your reply is marked as best answer" ?

Joris mentioned in his update in december that the development team is working on this feauture. Any idea when this feature will be released?

@Yoeri Users still have to visit the Category pages individually to manage those subscriptions, right? I received feedback today, which I agree is reasonable, that users would like to manage category subscriptions directly from their profile settings page.

@Yoeri Users still have to visit the Category pages individually to manage those subscriptions, right?

That is correct, on the profile settings page, we only provide a ‘kill switch’ to disable all notifications at once:

Receive email notifications for new topics in your subscribed categories
You will receive an email every time there is a new topic posted in a category that you are subscribed to. Set this setting to NO works as a kill switch: you won't receive any emails for new topics anymore, even if you are still subscribed to individual categories.

Hi @Yoeri is there a way to mass update the notification preferences via the API?

Lots of our customers warned us against the number of notifications they receive from us. We have been working on this but as all notifications settings are set by defalut as “yes”, we fear that this would generate a lot of emails and - what our customers could consider - spamming.

We would like to offer our customers the possibility to update their preferences via their app account (not the community) and also manage what kind of notification are set to “yes” by default on our side, via the API. Is this possible? Thanks

Hey @victorlacombe - there isn’t a way to mass update notification preferences at the moment → this functionality unfortunately isn’t available via our API.

An upcoming product improvement that might be still helpful for your members is that we’re looking into making it easier for customers to unsubscribe from emails (one-click unsubscribe, rather than the current process of logging in and changing preferences).

Alright, thanks @daniel.boon! And the one-click unsubscribe would be for all communications or users could hand pick the ones they want to unsubscribe from? 

Each type notification will have its own unsubscribe option/behaviour:

• Example 1: if a user gets a notification for a new reply in a topic, the user can unsubscribe in one click either from that topic specifically, or all new reply emails.
  • Example 2: if a user gets a notification for a new @mention, the user can unsubscribe in one click from all future @mention notifications.

Great! Nice improvement for end-users, looking forward to seeing this.