Release

Improvements to the Events Module

Related products: CC Events

We’ve rolled out some new features for our Events module based on the feedback we’ve received from you over the past few weeks. Read on to find out what’s now available!

Improvements 

:white_check_mark: Publish Private Events via private user groups (currently in beta - message @Yoeri if you’re interested). You can now set up exclusive private events for select groups of users. (thanks @bjoern_schulze for your feedback on the original announcement!)

:white_check_mark: Quickly add an event to Google Calendar directly from the event page (thanks @rory for submitting a related idea)

:white_check_mark: See the event time in your own timezone on the event page.

:white_check_mark: Clearly show that an event is an Online Event vs an In-person Event

:white_check_mark: Quickly share an event on social media directly from the event page.

:white_check_mark: Google Structured Data for events: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/event

An example of a private online event in a user group
​​​​​​

Note on ‘Online Events’:

• We noticed many of you were using the location field to specify that an event was Virtual/Online, or took place in Zoom.
  • We decided to make this more explicit to end users. Now, if you leave the location empty, your event will be shown as an Online Event, with special icon/clear distinction on the event overview, featured topic, and search result cards (you see an example in the screenshot above).
  • Given the situation with COVID-19, we made an assumption that all events since we released the Events Module have been online events, so your past events have been automatically updated to show as ‘Online Events’. 

Other events improvements we have in the pipeline:

• A ‘New Attendee’ trigger in Zapier to enable you to automatically register inSided event attendees on Zoom, Gotowebinar, and more!

Please let us know what you think of these improvements in the replies :) We’d really appreciate your feedback!

I’m happy to see support for private events, and I think the enhancements to add events to Google Calendar and clearly indicate which events are happening online are very helpful!

I’m also excited to see you’re working on an option to register attendees with Zoom, GTM, etc. Now, I just need a resource who can configure Zaps…

I wonder if other Events users are looking for ways to more visibly promote Events on the community? We’re in the process of adding an Events link to the header, and I would really like to have an option for users to subscribe to the events calendar to receive notifications. 

Please hurry up with that Zapier trigger! The UX for this right now is horrible - and creates a bunch of manual work for us.

@daniel.boon @Julian 

Nice progress but please also think about to make the “attendance” button adjustable. At the moment the customer clicks on the attendance button and thinks that he will be registered automatically. But this is not the case. For an online event the participant has to register somewhere else to receive the registration emails etc. The customer experience is not properly represented here. 

Thank you 
Thomas 

@daniel.boon @Julian 

Nice progress but please also think about to make the “attendance” button adjustable. At the moment the customer clicks on the attendance button and thinks that he will be registered automatically. But this is not the case. For an online event the participant has to register somewhere else to receive the registration emails etc. The customer experience is not properly represented here. 

Thank you 
Thomas 

Meetup.com has a nice way of doing this - they keep the event URL (e.g. zoom) hidden until you RSVP ‘yes’ to the event. Note: the two screenshots below are from two different events - but one shows the BEOFRE RSVP view and the other the AFTER.

Thank you for your feedback, guys! Had a quick call with Thomas in the meantime. To avoid that users misunderstand / fail to rsvp in an external tool, an integration via Zapier (which will automatically push all relevant info to the external tool for registration) will do the trick.

But I like your suggestion James, would be cool to only expose this information if a user has properly registered to the event.

Have you considered adding other “add to calendar” options other than Google calendar? 

Example below:

Hey @jillrossco - we did consider it but decided to start with just the one for now. Any option in particular that you’d like to see added? :)