Beta Release

Improved Moderation Overview: public beta feedback thread

Related products: CC Moderation

Did you arrive at this topic via the moderation overview, but don’t yet have an inSpired account?

Make sure to sign up for an inSpired account and leave a reply on this topic with your feedback ⭐️

We’ve released a brand-new moderation overview in public beta for all community managers and admins. Moderators can also access the beta if your community manager has opted you in.

The moderation overview is getting an overhaul, both in terms of design and capabilities.

New filtering options, editable custom views, refresh without reloading the page, and an improved design

Read on to find out what’s available right now and for whom, learn about the next steps and planned items, and find out how you can contribute to improving the new moderation overview.

What’s already available in the new moderation overview?

The following capabilities are available in the new moderation overview:

:white_check_mark: Save, edit, and share custom views.

:white_check_mark: Improved page load times and a quick refresh button to reload the topic stream without reloading the whole page.

:white_check_mark: Improved filtering UX and an improved title/content keyword search.

:white_check_mark: New filters, including: relative time filters for last active/publish date, filter by ideation status, and a multiselect filter for moderator tags.

🆕 As an administrator/community manager, you can opt-in to allow your entire moderation team to participate in the moderation overview beta. Just click the ‘enable for team option’ and flick the switch on our new experimental features page.

We’ve done this based on early feedback that we’re still lacking key features in the new overview, and that it would add complexity for larger moderation teams to have the beta suddenly available for the entire moderation team.

Of course, we couldn’t build these improvements without all the fantastic input from our community - so here’s a couple of shout outs to those who inspired us with their ideas.

Thanks to @Jurgen for submitting this idea about editing advanced topic filters (13 votes) and (partially delivered) dynamic date filters (4 votes) , @lila_meyer for this idea to share saved views / advanced filters with other users (3 votes), EricF for this idea (partially delivered) New topics should populate automatically on the backend (no refresh required) (8 votes), and @josh-sp for this idea Add "Ideation Status" to Advanced Filters under Content Overview (2 votes).

(💡^ that’s 30 inSpired votes!)

What’s next / planned for the new moderation overview?

Latest update: https://community.insided.com/news-platform-updates-16/improved-moderation-overview-public-beta-feedback-thread-2182?postid=8622#post8622

We have no short-term plans or a set date on which we’ll get rid of the old moderation overview.

Our ambition is to provide a better set of capabilities and a better design on the new moderation overview, and eventually phase out the old moderation overview, based on your feedback and usage.

How can you contribute and help us build a great moderator experience?

We’ll use this topic as a megathread to collect feedback from you and to provide updates on new features/changes as we iterate over the new moderation overview further.

We’ve included a feedback button on the beta overview page in Control, which takes you directly to this topic.

We’re excited to hear your first impressions!

Thanks for letting us know @Suvi Lehtovaara - example URLs would be great (you can message them directly to me if you’d like).

You probably already know this, but just to be sure:

If a topic has been created as an idea by mistake, and the topic is moved to another category without removing the idea status, the idea status remains in the topic. This is a bug and we’ve filed in a ticket about it. But now we see this behaviour also in the new overview.

Basically all of these topic in the screen cap below are really not new ideas, but the Filter: ideation status' > 'New Idea' brings them to the overview.

When there are more columns selected than the default, the table is too wide. The scroll bar is at the bottom of the table, which is rather uneasy to find.

Thanks for the extra feedback @Suvi Lehtovaara.

The issue with ideation statuses is something that we’ll resolve in our upcoming revamped ideation module.

RE: scrolling - are you using a trackpad or a mouse? If using a trackpad, the two-finger horizontal scroll gesture should work with the new table. If using a mouse, then a common shortcut for horizontal scrolling is to hold SHIFT and use the mouse wheel - this will let you scroll horizontally without having to reach for the scrollbar.

Let me know if that’s helpful!

Thanks for the extra feedback @Suvi Lehtovaara.

The issue with ideation statuses is something that we’ll resolve in our upcoming revamped ideation module.

Yes, I heard about this. Great news! :relaxed:

RE: scrolling - are you using a trackpad or a mouse? If using a trackpad, the two-finger horizontal scroll gesture should work with the new table. If using a mouse, then a common shortcut for horizontal scrolling is to hold SHIFT and use the mouse wheel - this will let you scroll horizontally without having to reach for the scrollbar.

Let me know if that’s helpful!

I think our team uses both, I’ll share the tip if they encounter this :relaxed:

Hi @daniel.boon. I’d love to be able to filter posts by user(name). 

Why: To apply multiple filters to find all posts by one user that fit certain criteria – for example, all of one user’s replies, all of one user’s posts in a specific category or group.

Goal: To see behavior patterns (positive or negative) that can be referenced when communicating with a community member.

Thanks for the feedback / clear idea @LPortalupi! Around how many users do you communicate with, and how often, where checking this information beforehand would be helpful? :)

I’d say I want to do this a couple times per month, but this will likely increase as we bring on a moderator to read all posts. From the member’s profile, it’s harder to keep track of which posts I’ve reviewed, plus I can’t filter these in any way. Right now it’s just a few people whose posts I need to review (when someone has brought a post to my attention), but I expect this number will grow. 

Thanks for clarifying @LPortalupi !

Was wondering if there are plans to remove/update the New Topics, Unanswered, etc menu items. when you click on them you will see a message telling you to use the new Overview.

When there are more columns selected than the default, the table is too wide. The scroll bar is at the bottom of the table, which is rather uneasy to find.

Are there any updates on this? @daniel.boon 

Feedback from our moderator team:

As a part of our weekly moderating routines our team does a weekly “check up” on the community. Meaning that they browse through all the topics from the last week to see whether all topics have been commented on, they’re in the right categories and that all the topics have public tags.

In the old overview the team was able to filter topics that had no public tags using “Publish after date (a date app. a week ago)” as the search criteria and then they just simply clicked on the Public tags column and saw whether there were some topics without public tags. Now, in the new overview, one is not able to “filter” with the Public tags.

Could this be fixed? :relaxed:

Hey @Suvi Lehtovaara thanks for sharing additional feedback from you and your team!

When there are more columns selected than the default, the table is too wide. The scroll bar is at the bottom of the table, which is rather uneasy to find. Are there any updates on this?

We don’t have specific updates on the scrolling behaviour, but we are considering an improvement to make the table more compact by default.

As a part of our weekly moderating routines our team does a weekly “check up” on the community. Meaning that they browse through all the topics from the last week to see whether all topics have been commented on, they’re in the right categories and that all the topics have public tags.

Would an option to filter on ‘public tags = none’ be sufficient here? :)

Would an option to filter on ‘public tags = none’ be sufficient here? :)

Yes, that would most definitely be sufficient :ok_hand:

Hey @Suvi Lehtovaara thanks for sharing additional feedback from you and your team!

When there are more columns selected than the default, the table is too wide. The scroll bar is at the bottom of the table, which is rather uneasy to find. Are there any updates on this?

We don’t have specific updates on the scrolling behaviour, but we are considering an improvement to make the table more compact by default.

Our moderator team is feeling that moderating the community is now taking more time than it used to. So it would be very much appreciated that this would be fixed 🙂 @daniel.boon  

Are there any updates on this? @daniel.boon 

Just one quick off-topic comment - and I really don’t mean it to be disrespectful:

Every time you post screenshots of your community it reminds me of the times I opened up an empty word document and let my preschool kids randomly type on my keyboard. ;)

Just one quick off-topic comment - and I really don’t mean it to be disrespectful:

Every time you post screenshots of your community it reminds me of the times I opened up an empty word document and let my preschool kids randomly type on my keyboard. ;)

You made my day @bjoern_schulze  :joy: 

I want to remove the legacy custom views I set up in the old moderation overview. Each of them has an “attention” icon next to the name. When I click on any custom view, I get the filtered view I expect. Then I click on “Modify filter”, then “Delete”, then I get an error 400.

I want to remove the legacy custom views I set up in the old moderation overview. Each of them has an “attention” icon next to the name. When I click on any custom view, I get the filtered view I expect. Then I click on “Modify filter”, then “Delete”, then I get an error 400.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Björn - we’ll look into this and get back to you!

When will ‘New Topics’, ‘Unanswered’ and ‘Favorites’ be transitioned to the new moderation view? 

We have two minor improvement requests:

1. The height of the “Published in” filter field isn’t the same as the other filters
  2. There should be a warning when users do logical errors while setting up the filters: e.g. when they filter by last activity date and publish date, it shouldn’t be possible to have a last activity date before the publish date

When will ‘New Topics’, ‘Unanswered’ and ‘Favorites’ be transitioned to the new moderation view? 

Hey @aluciani - we don’t have this planned just yet. Quick question though: except for ‘favorites’, these can all be recreated with custom views. If we removed them would you miss them?:)

We have two minor improvement requests:

1. The height of the “Published in” filter field isn’t the same as the other filters
  2. There should be a warning when users do logical errors while setting up the filters: e.g. when they filter by last activity date and publish date, it shouldn’t be possible to have a last activity date before the publish date

Thanks for this feedback on the usability @bjoern_schulze! (cc @xiaoyu-shen).

I would not miss them @daniel.boon and I think I can use the current filters in the overview to do the same thing.

Can you make it possible to filter for “blank” in Moderation Labels? And also make it possible to batch process adding/switching Moderation Labels? (both could be done in the old overview)

We’re switching around from some old Mod labels,, and I was a biiiit too trigger happy and deleted the old ones, and now we have to use the old overview to batch process the moderation labels because we can’t filter for blanks.

Cheers