Grammarly Browser Extension Issues - Now Automatically Disabled - 3rd June

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
  • Gainsight Employee: Veteran Rookie
  • 322 replies

Hello everyone,

It has come to our attention that the Grammarly Extension has been causing an issue with some of our text editors across the platform. This occurs when text is typed into the editor and Grammarly is triggered to check spelling and grammar - causing the text to disappear and the rest of the text box functionality to break.

We have been in contact with Grammarly and they are aware of the issue. Their developers are currently analysing the cause of this issue and are working on a fix - however, no time-frame has been provided for a solution.

In the meantime, we suggest turning off the Grammarly extension whilst using your community platform. To do that, please click the G icon on your browser's toolbar and toggle Check for writing suggestions and Show definitions and synonyms via double clicks off.

We will keep in close contact with Grammarly and keep you updated once more information becomes available.

Thanks,

Oliver

15 replies

Badge

Thanks for letting us know. I can confirm that I’ve been dealing with this issue off and on as well. 

I also had an issue with adding featured images to articles while using Grammarly. As soon as I turned off the extension, this functionality went back to normal. 

Badge

Any update on ETA? We’ve notified our community members to disable Grammarly for now but would like to communicate to them as soon as there’s an update

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks Adam, we have not received an ETA yet from Grammarly.

We have a contingency plan to add an attribute to the text editor so Grammarly will not initialise in it and we will of course keep you updated on when this has been added. This will mean that users won’t need to worry about turning Grammarly off. Hopefully Grammarly resolve the issue before we have to implement this.

Frustratingly, community members will need to disable Grammarly themselves for now (and watch out for their spelling and punctuation!).

Thanks for your patience with this and I’ll let you know as soon as there is any progress.

Badge

Understood. Thank you for the update, Oliver! Until then it’ll be like the Wild West in my posts 🤠

Badge

@olimarrio 👋  just checking in… Still working on a fix, I presume?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Adam :hand_splayed: we have the fix I mentioned above in progress so I expect to be able to update you on that imminently. This will disable Grammarly automatically for users. We will then remove this attribute once Grammarly are able to fix on their end. I’ll keep you posted as soon as our fix is implemented! 

Badge

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Good news - we have deployed this mitigating fix!

The Grammarly extension is now automatically disabled for users whilst they are using the platform. This means they won’t have to manually turn this on and off when switching between the platform and elsewhere on their web browser.

We will of course stay in contact with Grammarly and keep you all updated on when the issue can be resolved on their end. 

We will then remove the attribute on our side so that community members can use Grammarly if they wish.

For now, watch out for those punctuation marks and keep an eye out for the grammar police :cop:

Badge

Thank you @olimarrio!

Thank you it was driving me crazy when trying to edit posts.

Hi @olimarrio,

Are there any updates about fixing this? With Grammarly disabled, and my poor-spelling, a number of spelling and grammar mistakes are making it through :face_palm_tone1:

Thanks,

Ilan

Also looking for an update on this, guys!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @Ilan B & @Rudi,

Unfortunately I don’t have good news to provide for this. :disappointed: We have been chasing Grammarly for a resolution but they have informed us they cannot find a quick fix and therefore they have closed our case.

We are obviously very frustrated about this. We’ll discuss internally what our options are but they will be quite limited apart from a full change of our text editor.

Apologies for not being able to provide you with a more positive update! 

Hi @olimarrio and co,

Do we have any updates here? It’s a real pain point for me and other content creators using Insided. 

Thanks,

Ilan

FYI. If you install the desktop Grammarly software, it seems to work fine with Insided 😇