Update

Delete private messages, unsubscribe from @mentions, and more improvements

Related products: CC Private Messages

You asked, we listened. We have recently implemented some platform improvements based on your ideas and feedback here on inSpired. Read on to learn what is now available:

• Private message deletion for community members

• Unsubscribe from @mention email notifications

• Content Helpfulness Facelift

• Show warning dialog if you navigate away from the create topic process

• Bulk operation to close multiple topics at once

• Ability for moderators to post the same message multiple times

Private message deletion for community members

We worked on this feature based on this popular idea. Community members can now delete private messages they have sent to other users or moderators, enabling them to remove content they’ve sent privately that they no longer want to share. Both members of the conversation can see that a message has been deleted, for the sake of transparency. The deletion is available on the front end when viewing your conversation with another user.

Unsubscribe from @mention email notifications

Opting out from @mention notifications, a highly voted idea, is now available. Go to your Profile Settings page and set ‘Receive email notifications when you are mentioned’ to No. Once set to No you will no longer receive an email when another user mentions you.

Content Helpfulness Facelift

We changed the emoji, used to up- or downvote a topic, to a more friendly set.

Show warning dialog if you navigate away from the create topic process

When you're in the middle of creating a topic and accidentally refresh, navigate or forget to open in a new tab, there's no warning and your progress is lost. This is no longer the case. We implemented a warning dialog, based on this idea, that shows if you navigate away from the create topic page after providing some input already.

Bulk operation to close multiple topics at once

You can now close multiple topics at once (based on this idea). Simply go to the topic overview in Control, select some topics, press ‘More’ in the toolbar at the bottom, and select ‘Close’. This will prevent community members from submitting new replies to these topics.

Ability for moderators to post the same message multiple times

When there’s a major incident affecting a large portion of your customer base, sometimes you need to repeat yourself. Sometimes you need to repeat yourself, so we made it possible for moderators to post the same message multiple times, as requested in this idea.

---

We hope you're happy with these changes - give us any feedback in the replies below! 🙂
Big thank you to @daniel.boon and the team - love these!
Thank you!!! Great updates.
Hi @daniel.boon nice to be able to delete private messages, but you still cannot delete a whole conversation. We have had a spam attack and got some messages in our inbox, too, but we cannot delete them. Let me know if I am missing something here.
I agree with @Flo.Deezer after looking at this more closley - not sure there is value in deleting my own reply in a private message vs deleting the entire post.

You might want to revisit this function @daniel.boon
Thanks a lot for the feedback Flo/Angelo!

This was a first step in adding capabilities around the deletion of private messages (and in our opinion the most important, in order to empower users to have control over any personal data they send via private message, once it is no longer needed).

We have had a spam attack and got some messages in our inbox, too, but we cannot delete them. Let me know if I am missing something here.

It sounds like the problem you're having here is not being able to manage clutter/spam in your private message inbox - is that the main reason you'd want to be able to delete conversations @Flo.Deezer? Also curious if you've got an opinion on this @aluciani.
Hi Daniel,

I have a messges in my inbox I no longer need and would love to have the option to delete or archive those messages, so my inbox does not look so cluttered.

Show warning dialog if you navigate away from the create topic process

Some of our community members want to know if this will also extend to replies as well. Taking this one step further, auto saving your response so that if you lose a connection or accidentally navigate away that response would be saved to your profile.
@daniel.boon it was just an example, not the main reason. I just think it would be good to have it, there are many reasons.
Hello,

Here are some feedbacks from our Community about theses changes :

• They really wanted to be able to erase a whole conversation. They're not so interested in erasing only one message. They are very experienced users, though. They know they don't have to share their personnal informations with everyone. In this regard, I personnaly feel this function is useful.

• They appreciate the popup warning before leaving a comment/create post page

• One user gave us an intersting feedback : he'd like to have a number on his profile picture when he's being mentionned instead of an email. Exactly like when we have a private message.

I hope this is useful. 🙂
Some of our community members want to know if this will also extend to replies as well. Taking this one step further, auto saving your response so that if you lose a connection or accidentally navigate away that response would be saved to your profile.

We believe this makes sense, I'll report the feedback to our development team and see what we can do 🙂
Thanks for your feedback everyone.

One thing to note: the way private messages work on our platform is that there's a single thread shared between the sender and the receiver. That means if a message/conversation is deleted/erased, it will be deleted for both sender/receiver. So I'd like to clarify whether being able to erase entire conversations is really necessary, or if a 'soft' delete (i.e. archiving for one user) would be acceptable).

Hello,

Here are some feedbacks from our Community about theses changes :

• They really wanted to be able to erase a whole conversation. They're not so interested in erasing only one message. They are very experienced users, though. They know they don't have to share their personnal informations with everyone. In this regard, I personnaly feel this function is useful.

Thanks for your feedback @lionel s! Why do your experienced users want to erase conversations? Do they really want to erase or are they more interested in keeping their inbox tidy, in which case an 'archive' (hiding it for just one user) would probably suffice?

Hi Daniel,

I have a messges in my inbox I no longer need and would love to have the option to delete or archive those messages, so my inbox does not look so cluttered.

Thanks @aluciani, that's clear 🙂. I guess in this case an archive would be acceptable?
Hello @daniel.boon,

Keeping their inbox tidy is the main goal here, so I guess an archive would be more than enough to answer their expectations. 😉

Hi @daniel.boon 

I realise these posts are quite old now, but wanted to know if there was any progress made on being able to delete whole conversations or individual messages from another user? 

We need to be able to delete personal data after a customer has entered it into a private message to us.

Thanks,

Amelia

I realise these posts are quite old now, but wanted to know if there was any progress made on being able to delete whole conversations or individual messages from another user? 

We need to be able to delete personal data after a customer has entered it into a private message to us.

Thanks,

Amelia

Hi @AmeliaA,

We don’t have any concrete plans to iterate on this functionality. What would your preference be between deleting whole conversations, vs deleting individual messages from another user?

This function (removing private message conversations) has come up again in our community today as well. In order to be GDPR compliant, customers’ personal data has to be removed after the service case has been finished / solved. This still isn’t possible with inSided.

Our preferred solution would be: All private conversations that had the last activity (e.g. last message) X days ago (e.g. 180 days ago), will be automatically deleted.

The ability (for moderators and above) to delete complete private conversations or individual messages from other users would be a good additional functionality. But without an added automatic solution - as stated above - it would mean that moderators would need to permanently manually check private message inboxes in order to identify and delete conversations. 

Hi @daniel.boon 

Thanks, deleting individual messages would be best, so we can make sure we’ve removed anything that includes sensitive customer data. But options to delete both individual messages and whole conversations would be ideal.

Thanks,

Amelia

Hey @daniel.boon - any update on this deletion functionality? We had a spamming incident and would really like to remove all messages to and from this user. Thank you very much

Hey @Michael - thanks for your question. I don’t have any updates on this deletion functionality, however if you’d like to remove all messages to/from a particular user, then one option would be to erase the user → the erasure also includes deleting all private message conversations involving the user who was spamming your community members.

@daniel.boon awesome - thanks for the insight!

This function (removing private message conversations) has come up again in our community today as well. In order to be GDPR compliant, customers’ personal data has to be removed after the service case has been finished / solved. This still isn’t possible with inSided.

This is very good point, inSided isn´t GDPR compliant platform at the moment. When GDPR came, several years ago? :)

What is the reason for inSided not to allow us as admin to delete whole conversation or individual messages?

@Julian ?

Hi @revote,

just spotted this after being back from holiday…

While we do agree that deleting private message conversations after a certain period, unfortunately we do not offer a functionality for you to automate this just yet. This has several reasons, however “why”-questions in tech are traditionally harder to answer. ;)

We currently offer a system where we let the customer decide when private messages should be deleted, also which ones should be deleted: I have seen varying requests here (e.g. only messages between the community team and end users vs. all messages), which I feel goes back to different interpretations of how GDPR should be handled in this regard.

Our support team and our CSMs usually align with the CM on periods. We do want to offer a better solution here in the future, however it is not easy finding a one-fits-all solution that will meet the different expectations from CMs towards such a functionality. 

Hope this made it a bit clearer for you. :)

Sorry, I didnt remember that you were on holiday @Julian. I remembered it after I posted :)

I think the solution where recipient can delete the whole conversation works for everyone and with every usecases. Just like FB Messenger works I think?

I think the solution where recipient can delete the whole conversation works for everyone and with every usecases. Just like FB Messenger works I think?

And the conversation will be deleted only from the profile who press the delete. The other user still have the conversation and he/she have to do the deletion by him/herself as well.