This update refers to the beta engagement dashboard and Salesforce import features.
Firstly, thanks to all of you who have been using the Engagement Dashboard and Salesforce account import integration in beta for the last months to measure your monthly active customers.
Unfortunately, we unintentionally introduced a severe defect in this feature which impacts the data that powers the engagement dashboard.
In this article you can learn more about the current situation, the impact on your analytics, and the steps we’re taking to solve the defect.
The problem: not all account data is imported and processed from Salesforce
Since Wednesday 18 August ~ 10:00 CEST (04:00 EDT; 01:00 PDT), we’ve been experiencing issues with importing accounts from Salesforce. This was an unintended result of some recent technical changes to the Salesforce integration.
In short, the import does not process all imported companies.
We’ve managed to solve this issue for communities on our EU server, but we’re still trying to tackle the problem for communities running on our US server.
The impact: inaccurate & incomplete data on the engagement dashboard and incomplete company data in the user export
You’ll notice the impact of this issue on the engagement dashboard and in the user export, stemming from the fact that not all companies are imported or processed, and therefore not all community members are linked to companies when they should be.
Specifically, the impact you’ll see:
- Inaccurate number of total customers on the engagement dashboard, resulting in an incorrect % monthly active customers (e.g. sometimes overreporting your % monthly active customers, even over 100%).
- Incomplete counts of active, and inactive customers on the engagement dashboard. This is a result of not all users being linked to companies.
- Missing companies + company external Id values in the User export (same cause as above).
The impact is ongoing until we successfully solve the defect.
What we’ve done so far
We managed to address the issue for EU-based communities.
We’ve also identified (but not yet delivered) a solution for US-based communities, where we have a higher volume of Salesforce data to process.
What you can expect as next steps
We’re still currently working to resolve this for US-based communities.
Our aim is to retroactively fix the data on the engagement dashboard, meaning:
- We’ll retroactively fix the pageview data for any community members who weren’t linked to companies but should have been.
- We’ll also retroactively fix the total number of customers and % monthly active customers metrics for the months of August and September 2021.
Please note: the solution we are most confident in to fix the data problems on the engagement dashboard will mean that we’ll need to remove some functionality related to the Salesforce Import. For instance, we’ll be removing the Company Overview. We also need to remove the Company and Company External Id columns from the User Export.
We may consider bringing these functionalities back, but we need to reconsider the implementation of them. We’d welcome any feedback on this dropped functionality in the replies below (e.g. why you’d miss this data in the user export, or on the company overview).
Make sure you reply to this topic or hit the ‘Favorite’ button to get the latest updates as we progress with a solution
Please let us know if you have any questions or feedback in the replies.