Announcement

API 2.0 is out of beta!

• 14 October 2019
  • 7 replies
API 2.0 is out of beta!

After the beta phase, we are very pleased to announce the formal public rollout of our long awaited API 2.0 - it is the culmination of a large amount of hard work and dedication by the tech team to finally get this out the door and into your eager hands!

Overview of API 2.0 and its capabilities

Self Service & standardised OAuth 2.0 authentication

We have finally standardised the authentication mechanism of the API to industry standard OAuth 2.0 (hooray!) - so no more struggling with the old archaic signature generation that we know caused an implementation headache for many of you due to its complexity.

You’re now able to ‘self service’ your own API application integrations by creating and revoking API credentials yourself in Control. Simply go to the new ‘API’ section in control which can be found close to the top of ‘Integrations’ > ‘API’:

On this page you’re able to generate credentials for the new API which can then be used immediately. Just enter an application name and then a Client ID and Client Secret will be generated (please make note of the API secret as this will only be shown once and cannot be retrieved by anyone at inSided).

Endpoints separated by content types

We have now broken up the API calls into separate calls for each content type of:

1. Questions

2. Conversations

3. Articles

4. Events

5. Ideas

6. Product Updates

This has been done to allow you to choose the specific API actions to take depending on the types of posts that have been made on the community - rather than before where actions would be applied to all posts rather than via specific content types.

Webhooks

Webhooks have been formally introduced in the new API. Now you are able to get a programmatic notification for content creation events on your community.

As the list of available Webhooks is always being updated as new events being made available, please consult the Webhooks documentation to see a list of what is currently possible: https://api2-eu-west-1.insided.com/docs/#section/Webhooks/Available-events

We have more events available and always expanding this officially-supported list based on customer request, so please just let us know if there is a use case you are not able to support with the events listed above.

Updated and improved documentation

We have also been busy improving the documentation for the new API, we are now using a standardised API documentation format using reDoc (https://redoc.ly/). It has now got a new lick of paint, much more content, example calls and payloads for data submission. It is also overall a hell of a lot nicer and cleaner than the old swagger UI we were using.

If any one has any feedback on our documentation or suggestions, we have embedded a feedback widget there - don’t be shy with your feedback and let us know your thoughts!

The link to the API documentation can be found at the top of the API section in Control:

Thanks to everyone involved!

We also want to give a big thank you to everyone involved who gave feedback for the API 2.0 beta program. This really helped us build up clearer documentation and allow us to focus on the important deliverables expected by end API users.

With this solid foundation in place, we’re looking forward to seeing you all get creative and building some powerful integrations. Please give us any feedback in the replies below, and if you build something cool, share it on inSpired!

7 replies

Hi, 

Thanks for the info. I would like to asked if you will support version 1.x for some time and if you would let us know when it wil lbe out of support. As our SSO is set up wiht the older version. 

Thanks, Claudia 

Badge

On this page you’re able to generate credentials for the new API which can then be used immediately. Just enter an application name and then a Client ID and Client Secret will be generated (please make note of the API secret as this will only be shown once and cannot be retrieved by anyone at inSided).

kWgGW1zctFnrBBBW8I9UmomxCKRY96yzlu4mbWIdA7T0mmpAWbF8TYKM78FQwNjr71Yv4TTLQR8JkfA4yQVegCzFJtlnCmoDahVL90-fHCml1C2h3H6lZTjWP-uHNjxDnh7VkUYr

Hi @tom.shaddock ,

how do the API credentials interact with the user roles? E.g. if I give the credentials to a “registered user”, will s/he see only the content & actions which is defined for “registered users” or is the API role-agnostic and s/he would be able to access all content & actions?

Cheers,

Florian

Badge

Thanks for the info. I would like to asked if you will support version 1.x for some time and if you would let us know when it wil lbe out of support. As our SSO is set up wiht the older version. 

Good question @Claudia.Willunat!

We’re still working out our plans for supporting API 1.0 - we’ll communicate any changes to supporting this with plenty of notice.

how do the API credentials interact with the user roles? E.g. if I give the credentials to a “registered user”, will s/he see only the content & actions which is defined for “registered users” or is the API role-agnostic and s/he would be able to access all content & actions?

@Florian the short answer is yes, the API is role-agnostic and the user would be able to access all content & actions. Our API documentation has a section explaining the way this type of authentication works in a bit more detail. We do not currently have an authentication method that authenticates on an individual user level. I’m curious why you’re asking / what you have in mind! :)

The images pasted into the article look like they originated from an Insided-internal Google docs site, so they are not accessible to users. Would you please use the Insert Image tool to integrate them?

Badge

+1 - I’m not able to see the images in this article. 

Badge

The images pasted into the article look like they originated from an Insided-internal Google docs site, so they are not accessible to users. Would you please use the Insert Image tool to integrate them?

@daniel.boon @tom.shaddock 

Could you please fix the images on this article :)

@Suvi Lehtovaara @srussell @tiffany.oda  - thanks for pointing this out guys, its a bit of an old article indeed, i’ve replaced the images and made a few other updates to it now :smile: