[Advance notice] WYSIWYG Editor in the Community Frontend (Branded Templates)

• 24 November 2017
  • 15 replies

Badge
Many of you mentioned at Innovation Lab and inSpired that it’s important for you to know in advance when a core update is coming, so you can prepare your community members for the change.

I’m delighted to announce that we’ll be releasing the WYSIWYG editor next Thursday (30 November) very soon, pending us fixing some last-minute critical bugs. It’ll be available in the front end of all communities on Branded Templates.

If you want some boilerplate to use to inform your community about exactly what’s coming, I’ve written a brief explainer (credit to @Mathis for this suggestion at Innovation Lab - we’ll try to create these for all core updates that you'll want to inform your users about):

START

--------------

New editor for writing posts

In the new editor, you can see what your post will look like whilst you’re writing it, so there’ll be no more formatting surprises.

That means that as you type you’ll be able to see your images, emoji, @mentions, embedded videos, links, lists, spoilers, quotes, and text formatting. What you see is what you get 😁 !

The new editor adapts based on what you’re doing on the community - creating a topic, writing a reply, or sending a private message - so you always have useful editing options at your fingertips.

BBCode is still supported, so although certain editing options aren’t available through the new editor’s interface (like colours and strikethrough), they’ll still work if you use BBCode markup in your posts.

We hope you’ll find the new editor really enjoyable and we’re looking forward to seeing your beautifully formatted posts!

--------------

END

What are the next priorities to deliver for the WYSIWYG editor?

- Available in the Control environment (including @mentions!)

- Attach images in private messages

We'd be happy to hear your feedback or answer any questions, so shoot if you've got something on your mind.

15 replies

Thanks Daniel,

Good stuff, much appreciated! I’ll be sure to inform my community about this. 🙂
Great! My super users will love this. Thanks!
Badge
Thanks Daniel,

Good stuff, much appreciated! I’ll be sure to inform my community about this. :)

@Mathis - just to reiterate, this'll only be live on Branded Communities. Just checking because I don't want you to disappoint your community members! 🎈
Badge
At what time is it released? 😛
Badge
At what time is it released? :P

@Jurgen

We expect to release this between 11am-3pm today 🚀.

Again, I just to confirm that this only goes live on Branded Communities today.
Badge
Like the Insided community, right? That's a nice playground to check it out 🙂
Thanks Daniel,

Good stuff, much appreciated! I’ll be sure to inform my community about this. :)

@Mathis - just to reiterate, this'll only be live on Branded Communities. Just checking because I don't want you to disappoint your community members! 🎈

dundunduuuuuuun.

Thanks for pointing this out @daniel.boon, I guess I missed this piece of info in the title after talking about this feature since our migration phase last year.
Badge
Unfortunately we've had to make the difficult decision to delay the launch of the WYSIWYG editor whilst we fix some last-minute critical bugs we discovered.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment!

However, we want deliver a high-quality editor that won’t risk the health of your community and reduce the satisfaction of your members, so we believe that this delay is for the best.

We're now working hard to resolve these bugs - I'll provide an update on expected release date once we're more confident that the editor is ready for your members to use.
Badge
@daniel.boon It seems to be working at the Insided community. Copypasting rich text isn't working though.
Ah! Too bad, but thanks for the update. Understandable choice.
@daniel.boon Do you need help testing it?
Badge
@daniel.boon Do you need help testing it?

@Lorna thanks for offering your help 🙂!

We're testing it right here on inSpired - we'd find it really helpful if you could let us know if you spot any significant bugs (just send me a private message).

Here's a status update on our progress with releasing the editor:

• We're in progress with fixing the critical issues we found late last week.
  • Unfortunately there's a very high probability that the editor won't be released this week whilst we fix these bugs/perform additional stress testing to ensure the editor meets a high enough standard for your communities.
Hi there,

I'm the Jr. Community Manager of Simyo, a man with a question. In the meantime the editor was launched of course, I was wondering if there are plans to optimise the editor for mobile use. As of yet the editing-options for mobile are very limited (unless you use code). Do you guys have any info on this?

Greetings,

Thomas
Badge
Hi @ThomasMalingre

Hopefully I can be a man with an answer... :)

We do plan to make a few more options available in the mobile editor, under the 'more options' dropdown menu, in the near future - did you have any specific requests?
Hi @ThomasMalingre

Hopefully I can be a man with an answer... :)

We do plan to make a few more options available in the mobile editor, under the 'more options' dropdown menu, in the near future - did you have any specific requests?

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply! 😉 I hope you can! Good to read that there're plans for further developing the editor.

My specific requests/needs are basic options such as Bold Italics Underlined. To our (super) users it's more valuable to have the basics and under a dropdown menu additional functions.

In the old editor these options were included. In the current version there're merely buttons for adding different types of attachments + a help button that provides info on linking to/attaching media and some (for mobile use) irrelevant tips on how to alter text (see below).

Greetings,

Thomas