Solved

Moderator objectives and KPIs - do metrics worth measuring exist on an individual level?

• 4 July 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge
We want your help in coming up with individual moderator objectives and KPIs, to support our team objectives around traffic/activation, value and ROI.

It's actually tricky to ID 'effective and successful moderation':

• If one regular user becomes a super user, who knows which mod did all the grafting.
  • If 1000s of post fields have been added, there's no indication which mod added them.
  • Peer to peer might be due to a diligent mod's PMs, whereas another mod leaving comments leaves a bigger footprint and appears more active

Effective content creation, views and comments etc is something we're thinking about. How many 'Likes' is also a good indicator of helpfulness.

Any tips would be welcome!
icon

Best answer by Julian 5 July 2019, 15:05

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey Tim,

good question. Measuring the impact of Moderators on an individual level can be tricky, depending on the goals... Mostly this is measured on team level and there are a bunch of interesting KPIs you could use (e.g. new vs. returning visitors, average users per topic) but these do not really apply on the individual scale.

A question I would have is if there is any distribution of tasks amongst your Moderators, or do all of them e.g. add Post Fields or create FAQ content? Cause this would be a challenge, you don't want your Moderators to fight who get's to create FAQs that will accumulate a lot of likes just so that it boosts their KPI performance.

If all of your Moderators are answering questions, you could make a "Mark as answer" report and then see how many of the answers were provided by which Moderator.

The amount of content created could also be a good indicator of performance. Someone who engages a lot on the community helps the community grow in activity and content. Downside is that you cannot distinguish between an extensive in-depth reply from a simple "ok thank you" post, so it would promote quantity over quality.

Thinking about it, the amount of likes received could be an interesting KPI: even if a Mod replies in an unpopular subject, delivering a good reply will still accumulate likes. However this could also fluctuate a lot depending on the topics a Moderator is active in.

In each case I would check if your KPIs are showing somewhat consistent results, this can give you an indication if they are worth measuring.

I will be on holiday next week but surely an interesting discussion I would like to hear others' opinion on once I am back!