Interesting Read: Data Mining Reveals How The “Down-Vote” Leads To Negative Feedback

• 20 October 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge
Thought I would share this interesting post on "Down Voting"

Data Mining Reveals How The “Down-Vote” Leads To A Vicious Circle Of Negative Feedback

I think they have the right idea and I tend to agree with their research.

Here is the link to the research paper

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks a lot for sharing, aluciani! That was really an interesting read - I will upvote this! 😃 :P

I see that pattern as well, communities where downvoting is an option are usually also "polluted" with negative conversations, you can see easily how downvotes are counted by some as personal attacks...

I have the feeling though that some light version of this mechanism is also working on platforms as ours: A user that criticizes another user with a post might also receive a lot of likes, should other users agree with that. This in turn also has a negative impact on that user - the like for user A will feel like a dislike for user B.

Luckily (at least in my experience) these fights between users are not that common on inSided communities. I am happy for all the Moderators out there that do not have to untangle all this heated debates that too often are about nothing. :D

Cheers,

Julian