Configure the Knowledge base overview page

• Gainsight Employee: Team Captain
  • 38 replies

With the Knowledge Base overview page, your end-users can see at one glance all the content that is hosted on you Knowledge Base and easily find the content they are looking for.

Customize the KB overview page

1. Access the page by either:
  • Going in Control Platform> Knowledge Base. You can click the link "Customize"
  1. Make sure to add a visual and a title to your hero banner 
  2. You can configure your KB widget to show only parents categories OR parent and child categories. That second option is particularly interesting if you have a limited number of parent categories.
Widget displaying all the child categories grouped per parent category

You can access this setting in the configuration side panel of the KB widget.

KB widget configuration side panel

1. Feel free to use any other widgets on this page.

The following widgets are available on the page: Quick links, Featured topics, Recommendations, HTML widget.

Update the Phrases:

You can update the name of the page in the breadcrumb using phrases

The phrase set in the breadcrumb will be applied in the Mega Menu. 

Once you enable the page for end users, the page will be accessible from the Mega Menu.  You can also update the phrase from the Mega Menu as well.

Editing the phrase from the breadcrumd
Editing the phrase from the Mega Menu

If you are using the old navigation menu. We are not investing in building new features in the old navigation menu. We strongly recommend using the new Mega Menu to make the best use of the KB overview page. ​​

Make the page visible to you end users

Once your page is configured, go to  Control in Platform> Knowledge Base. Click the button “Make overview page visible to end users now”.

By clicking this button, the KB overview page will be accessible to all users who have access to at least one KB category. They will also see the link to the KB overview page appear in the Mega Menu.

Of course the permissions settings at the level of the KB categories still apply. On the KB overview page, end users will only see link to the categories they have access to. This is the same behavior that we currently have on the homepage.

24 replies

Fantastic - Thank you for adding this feature and for giving a detailed description on implementing it. I do have a quick question however. How would I have the banner search bar and title to be in the centre much like on the community home screen / landing page? Thanks.

'

Hello @Stuart.cruttenden thank you!

To answer your question, right now we don''t offer this configuration. You can not decide where the search bar gets positioned in the hero.

The logic is to have a central search bar on the homepage, and have a search bar to the left on the sub pages (like the KB overview and the category pages)

I can recommend creating an idea if you would like to have this customisation option :)

You can use Custom CSS in the meantime, if you really want to have the search bar centered. This article might be of help 

'
Badge +1

How did you guys do “Latest Articles” on your overview page?

Hello @Kgastaldo we used the recommendations widgets and manually inserted links to the topics :)

Badge +1

Hello @Kgastaldo we used the recommendations widgets and manually inserted links to the topics :)

Ah, okay. A widget would be cool so you wouldn’t have to keep manually updating these.

I totally agree @Kgastaldo . Could you create an idea for it so it can gather some votes? I know some others customers could be interested :)

How could I insert cloud of tags to the overview page now?

Hello @Irina Chernega the cloud of tag widget is not available in the KB overview page. Indeed currently it's only available for the sidebar on the homepage. 

Hi @Marion Frecaut,

It seems we can’t change the Phrase related to “View all” in the knowledge base page.

It there a specific phrase to add?

Thanks

Hello @victorlacombe this seems to be hardcoded and we missed adding it to phrases. I created a ticket for us to add it to phrase I will keep you informed :)

Hi there! Is there a way to change the URL for the Knowledge Base? We’re creating specific branding for ours and don’t want it to conflict with our actual Knowledge Base.

Hello @Brittany from Automox thanks a lot for your comment. At this moment we don't offer the option to customize the URL of the KB overview page. It would be great if you could create an idea about it so it can gather some votes to help us prfioritize it :)

Is there a way to change this phrase in the search banner of the knowledgebase? It’s not in the KB search panel customisation and we’ve searched the custom phrases list and just cannot find it!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there a way to change this phrase in the search banner of the knowledgebase? It’s not in the KB search panel customisation and we’ve searched the custom phrases list and just cannot find it!

In control click Platform > Knowledge base > Click Edit on “Discover the secrets of success” Parent category > edit the “Description”, which is what contains the meta data of your KB parent cateogry.

For individual KB areas, click on Edit > Category Details > edit the “Description”, which is what contains the meta data of your KB sub category.

Thanks for the tip @Ditte but this is not a category or sub-category of our knowledgebase.

It is part of the “search banner” widget accessible via the customise menu. It’s possible to change the knowledge base title using this widget, but not the sub-title or tagline.

It’s not an editable phrase and I was hoping there was a hidden phrase we could use to amend it. 

We found this old hidden phrase for the knowledge base title (note: this has now been replaced with the editable title in the widget): knowledge.base.homepage.title

and we’ve tried to create a similar hidden phrase for this content, but we’re just guessing, and they don’t work! e.g

knowledge.base.homepage.subtitle

and

knowledge.base.homepage.tagline

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the tip @Ditte but this is not a category or sub-category of our knowledgebase.

It is part of the “search banner” widget accessible via the customise menu. It’s possible to change the knowledge base title using this widget, but not the sub-title or tagline.

It’s not an editable phrase and I was hoping there was a hidden phrase we could use to amend it. 

We found this old hidden phrase for the knowledge base title (note: this has now been replaced with the editable title in the widget): knowledge.base.homepage.title

and we’ve tried to create a similar hidden phrase for this content, but we’re just guessing, and they don’t work! e.g

knowledge.base.homepage.subtitle

and

knowledge.base.homepage.tagline

Hmmmm 🤔 That IS weird… 

I’ve had a look through our phrases, and I can’t find anything either but we don’t have KB active on production. Maybe search phrases for “documentation” or one of the other words in the subtag? If that doesn’t bring any goodies, I guess we’ll have to wait for InSided to explain how to edit it :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Morning @Ditte and @Kat_G 

Roping in a few more eyes for this question. @leo-inspired, @Sudhanshu or @olimarrio any advice on the above question???

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @Kat_G 👋,

You can edit the subtitle in Customize mode and then clicking edit on the widget:

You can also change the placeholder in the search bar via Phrases:

Let me know if that answers your question or if you’re not able to configure this here and I can look into it further.

Thanks for waving a magic wand there @olimarrio - that option to edit the subtitle is now showing (it wasn’t before!)

Badge

Hi @olimarrio - I must be missing something. When I try the above I still don’t get an option to edit the subtitle. Clicking on the Edit button just lets me change the picture. Any ideas?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey @Chris Hackett 👋,

Thanks for letting me know!

You are indeed missing the configuration needed to see these options. For some reason during development there was a need to add a feature flag to add subtitles and widget style but it seems it didn’t get switched on for some communities. I’ve now enabled this for you 😄

Badge

Thank you @olimarrio ! All working now 😁

Hi @olimarrio, I see we are missing this configuration as well. Could you help me?🙏

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey @basharmsen 👋,

Added this for you as well!