Solved

Updating Contacts with Salesforce Integration

• 4 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

If an email address on an existing Community user record gets updated, will it sync to the matching email address in Salesforce? 

Here’s what I want to happen: 

From: User123 with email ABC matched to Salesforce Contact with email ABC

Action taken: Update email for User123 to email XYZ

To: User123 with email XYZ matched with the new Salesforce contact with email XYZ. 

Does this happen automatically or are there steps that need to be taken to re-sync or re-match the user?

icon

Best answer by DannyPancratz 25 January 2022, 19:10

View original

3 replies

Badge

Would love to hear back from InSided team on this. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I’ve been investigating this with the Support team and testing out solutions over the past few days. 

Here’s what I have found. 

• If you change an email on an user record in Insided, it does not disrupt the Salesforce integration
    • User activity keeps syncing and writing to the same community member record in Salesforce
  • The Insided-Salesforce integration does not look for a new contact (Salesforce) to match for the email (Insided). 
    • That user has already been matched and a community member object created
    • User activity keeps syncing to the same object
  • Contact and Account (see image) are likely required fields on the Salesforce object
    • You likely need enhanced permissions (from your Salesforce admin) to update those fields

While this is not automated by the Insided-Salesforce integration, you can successfully achieve the desired result by following these steps. 

1. Update the user record in Insided (email address)
  2. Update the community member record in Salesforce
    1. Update Contact
    2. Update Account

As noted above, you’ll likely need the right permissions to facilitate step 2. Additionally, you’ll need a contact created in Salesforce for the new email address.

Or alternatively, you could probably update the original salesforce contact record to be associated with the new email and the appropriate account for that company. 

If I update the email address in the inSided user profile and then go into the community member in SFDC (via the previous email as that’s what’s still attached to the member) and update to the new Contact and associated Account, what happens to the community activity that’s showing in the old Contact? Does the activity get overwritten when I update the Contact and Account in SFDC?