Zapier

How to automatically register a community event attendee for a webinar (via Zapier)

Badge

You can use our Zapier app in combination with the Events module to deliver a great signup UX to your customers and boost the social proof of your events with public attendee lists → all with minimal admin and busywork for yourself.

This is powered by the New Attendee trigger in our Zapier app, which lets you set up workflows with event tools like GoToWebinar, Zoom, LivestormEventbrite, and more!

Here’s a quick example of how to set up a Zap that automatically registers a community event attendee for a webinar.

How to set up GoToWebinar x CC event attendee integration

1. For the first ‘when this happens’ step, choose the app ‘CC’, and select the New Attendee trigger.
  2. For the second ‘do this’ step, choose the app ‘GoToWebinar’ and select the Find Webinar in GoToWebinar action.
    • Use either the start time or the title of the webinar from step 1 to find the webinar.

Some Zapier apps can be a bit picky with the formatting of date/time fields. If your Zap isn’t working, try formatting the date using Zapier’s ‘Formatter’ app.

3. For the third and final ‘do this’ step, choose the app ‘GoToWebinar’ and select the Create Registrant in GoToWebinar action.
    • Use the previous search step as input.
    • Add ‘community’ as the Source.
    • Add First Name / Last Name
      • If you’re using custom profile fields on CC, use the names you’ve collected from users during signup.
      • If you’re not using custom profile fields on CC, then we suggest using the username as the First name, and adding “(Community Member)” as the Last name.
    • Add Email using the email from the CC New Attendee Trigger.

Enable the Zap and you should be good to go! Now your CC event attendees will be automatically registered in GoToWebinar!

Similar Zaps can be set up with Zoom, LivestormEventbrite.

For reference, here’s an example of the payload we send across. It includes all essential user and event details:

userid: 121
email: wayne@wayneindustries.com
username: batman
eventId: 8
eventTitle: Sprint Review #11
eventStartDatetime: 2020-06-02T13:30:00+00:00
eventTimezone: Europe/Amsterdam
profileFields
First Name: Wayne
Date of birth: 1963-02-19T00:00:00+0100
Place of origin: Gotham City

17 replies

Hi Daniel, I am having problems getting to my First Name and Last Name fields in inSided from your Section 3 above. I don’t have a source of Community, just my first step from the New Attendee Trigger. This doesn’t have the first name/last name fields I need, just the email. Have I missed a setup?

Do we have to set up a zap for each webinar?

Badge

Hi there @edithhwang !

Yep, I believe this is the case, since each Zap would be linked to a specific event. You could potentially edit the existing one, but it’s probably best to have unique Zaps for every individual event to avoid conflicts.

Badge

Are you still having issues with this @katie.fair ? If so, I can try to ask either @daniel.boon or @Jeanie Lee to help out with this. I don’t have experience using Zapier myself, but you might be able to get help via either here or on the Zapier Community. :)

We must have missed Katie’s post. I’ll wait to hear back from her. :innocent:

Hi @Blastoise186 , I haven’t tried it in the last few weeks, but last time I did try, yes it still wasn’t working. I believe support told me it looks like it is a GTW related issue, not Insided. I haven’t proved it either way yet though! :) 

Thanks for the update, Katie! Support would definitely be the best channel and I’m glad they identified a possible cause. 

Thanks for the update, Katie! Support would definitely be the best channel and I’m glad they identified a possible cause. 

Support wasn’t able to provide a workaround. I am currently having to manually register in GTW each person who clicks “attend” in my webinar in my Community. I have 4 webinars upcoming, so this is taking a LOT of my time to do this. I have tried over and over, and can’t seem to get this to work. Is anyone else successfully doing Zaps between Insided and GoToWebinar? I have even tried to set up each event separately in Zapier, and it still isn’t working.

Okay, I made a little progress, but I am still stuck. Step #1 With “New Attendee in inSided” doesn’t let me select Attendees for other upcoming webinars. The only 2 attendees it shows me are for my next upcoming webinar, when I need to make these Zaps for the other upcoming ones. There are people registered for those future ones, but it only gives me the 2 attendee options here. Not sure how to set up a separate Zap for each one when I can only choose the attendees for the next webinar. Hope I am explaining this well!

Hi @katie.fair, I’ve brought this topic to the attention of our product team, who have the deepest knowledge of the Zapier integration. They should pop in soon enough for some insight. 

Badge

Hey @katie.fair - thanks for sharing your problem on the community.

Hoping I can get you ‘unstuck’ :)

In your screenshot you’re seeing the ‘Test trigger’ functionality of Zapier → this is more here to help you set up the Zap correctly, rather than ‘attendee options’ that you can explicitly choose from. In your example it’s just showing the most recent attendees who signed up for any event on inSided.

For setting up the Zap I recommend using a two-step Zap (after the ‘new attendee’ trigger) where you 1) find the webinar in Gotowebinar based on the event start time, and then 2) automatically create new registrants for the appropriate webinar.

I recorded a video showing how to set this up: https://cdn.zappy.app/24e4066f55bb036dcbd5e4dc4aeedf91.mp4

^ one note - it appears there’s something buggy going on in Zapier with adding choosing ‘Custom’ in the webinar field. I managed to workaround it in the video by first manually choosing a webinar, filling in the first name/last name/email fields, and then changing the manually chosen webinar to ‘custom’ and adding the webinar ID.

Let me know how you get on - happy to help if you have followup questions.

Hi @daniel.boon,

I ended up yesterday at the same point your video gets me to. This does get an attendee pushed to GoToWebinar, so that part works fine. However, I have 3 upcoming webinars that people are registering for, so when I had one of my coworkers test it by clicking attend on the next upcoming webinar. It then registered him for all 3 upcoming webinars in GTW, even though he only RSVP’d for one.

I did create Zaps for each individual event, but it seems like it isn’t looking at which event the attendee clicks “Attend” for. Have you tried doing multiple webinars and multiple events in insided? Hopefully, I am doing something wrong, but it is like it is just looking at who is an attendee, rather than WHICH event they RSVPd for.

Badge

I tested the Zap in my video with 2 events - in both cases, it looked up the appropriate event after retrieving the matching webinar in Gotowebinar (as shown in below screenshots, webinar key was different based on the event that a user attended).

Could you share a copy of your Zap with me? Maybe I’ll be able to spot what’s wrong.

Just sent them to you in a PM! Thanks!

Badge

Thanks @katie.fair - I took a look and the only thing that caught my eye is that the webinar field in the third step isn’t filled (not sure if that’s just something weird with sharing the Zap, since this is a required field). This should be filled with the ID from the previous step. 

There can only be one webinar in the step for creating a registrant, so unfortunately I’m also lost on why it would be creating a registrant for 3 webinars in one go! 😞 Let me know if this helps at all!

Hi Daniel,

You are correct, I had selected the webinar name in step 3, rather than the webinar ID, as it didn’t let me add in any of the registrant details. When I change it to the webinar ID, and then have someone register for it in Insided, nothing gets sent across (how would it know what to send across if those extra fields aren’t there?).

Could you jump on a web session with me? I may be missing something...

Badge

Hey @katie.fair 

I think what you’re describing is the ‘buggy’ thing I described in one of my previous responses. I tested the Zap and if you workaround it following the steps in the video, it should still work as those extra fields are still there ‘in the background’.

I recorded a video showing how to set this up: https://cdn.zappy.app/24e4066f55bb036dcbd5e4dc4aeedf91.mp4

^ one note - it appears there’s something buggy going on in Zapier with adding choosing ‘Custom’ in the webinar field. I managed to workaround it in the video by first manually choosing a webinar, filling in the first name/last name/email fields, and then changing the manually chosen webinar to ‘custom’ and adding the webinar ID.

I’ve sent you a private message with a link you can use to book a call in case that still doesn’t get you further.