Auto notification of private group requests

Related products: CC Groups

Requesting auto-notifications to the group administrator when new group requests are received so that the group admin is prompted to go in and approve/decline the request. Currently, this has to be checked manually.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.
Updated idea status NewOpen

Hello @Christa Brown and @DannyPancratz thanks a lot for posting. This is indeed a really good point. We have this top of mind for when we will resume work on groups

Just came across this limitation as we started implementing inSided. This seems like table stakes to me and might cause us to re-consider the use of groups all together.

Hello Scott, thanks a lot for sharing your concerns, it helps to give this idea a higher priority. I can't commit to a date for when this will be implemented but for sure it's something we want to do when working on improving groups

Thanks @Marion Frecaut -- even if there was a way to trigger a notification via Zapier that would be helpful as an interim option to help us know about applications.

Hello, @Scott Baldwin Let me check internally if we can find a way to unblock you on this, I will get back to you. 

Following this update as well! We are about to launch a strategy for private beta feedback groups and it’s difficult/not at all intuitive to keep checking back on those requests! 

Also, I figured this might be a good time to point out that my request to join the Groups Beta group in this community is still pending :) 

And @adam.ballhaussen nails the issue with a real life use case 

Hey @adam.ballhaussen @Scott Baldwin of yeah that mike drop really proves your point :joy: .

Currentlty the Groups Beta is no longer used as the Groups feature has already been relased and most of the ideas we get around groups are made directly in our ideation module. That is why we didn't add new members. That being say, it's not super clear, we probanly need to remove that group.

Anyway, I got your message loud and clear and totally get how this is painful for you :)

@Marion Frecaut any update on the unblocking options?

Hello @Scott Baldwin I checked with the team and indeed we can make that webhook available for you to use. Right now that webhook is not documented so I'm trying to find time for the team to do this to unblock you. We are doing the best we can to make this happen soon, however, right now I can't give you an ETA. I will keep you informed as soon as I have planned this work :)

Please add me to the list of customers who would be interested in an interim solution where this webhook might be unblocked, @Marion Frecaut

And on this topic, I just added this related idea: 

Hello Everyone, 

I'm happy to say that we added some events related to groups to our API documentation. We added the following:

• group.MemberJoined (when a user joins a specific group)
  • group.MemberRequest (when a user joins a specific group)
  • group.MemberLeft (when a user leaves a specific group)

FYI @DannyPancratz @adam.ballhaussen @Christa Brown @CommunityKaila @Anitahg @alexfarmer1 

@Scott Baldwin you should be able to build a Zapier trigger as an interim solution. 

You can find our API documentation here:

We are still planning to implement email notifications in the future around users requesting to join groups. I hope this temporary solution will help in the meantime. 

Updated idea status OpenDelivered (Partially)

@Marion Frecaut thank you! Please disregard the comment about Zapier on the other thread 🙂 I just saw this. Is there a resource that would help guide me to create a trigger for this in Zapier?

Hey @adam.ballhaussen these resources from Zapier should help you out :) https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

HI @Marion Frecaut this is great news, any way you can include notifications for new posts as well?

Hi again @Marion Frecaut the notification for new posts must also be available for all the members of a group, such as in the community module, if not the dynamic in the group will not be very good? @DannyPancratz what are your thoughts on this? 

@Anitahg I’m not sure if I follow your question:

the notification for new posts must also be available for all the members of a group, such as in the community module, if not the dynamic in the group will not be very good?

One of the great things about groups is that when someone joins, they’re auto-subscribed to system emails for the group, so they’ll be notified about new posts in the group. So if you or other admins are in the group, you should be notified, as will group members. 

However, group members have the option to unsubscribe from those notifications while remaining in the group. From my perspective, this is a very good thing: they stay on the group roster as a visible member, still feel a sense of belonging to the group, but have the option to personalize their user experience. 

If there’s other post notifications you’re looking for, let me know and I’d gladly offer my POV. 

@Marion Frecaut thanks to you and the team for the quick movement on this! It should serve our use case. My colleague @rcochran and our IT team took a quick look yesterday and reporting things look very promising for what we would hope to do with this. We’ll report back if it doesn’t fit our use case and/or if we have ideas related to future development of this. 

@DannyPancratz @Marion Frecaut please disregard my last comment/question. Members do receive notifications on email. I had issues related to this but once I disabled Grammerly it works just fine. (Would be great to be able to use Gramerly, though). @Marion Frecaut we do hope though that the identity of private group members will not show for non members. For us, that is important, to protect for instance private Exec VIP level identities, and also to not having to justify to customers that might request to join a certain group, who is allowed to be a member of a specific group and who is not. We also would like to use the Group functionality to offer a private Hub for each individual customer, but to do so we we would need to be able to hide these groups from the Group overview (we can not showcase all our customers like that). So our second request with regards to the Groups module would be to be able to decide for ourselves which private groups shall be visible in the Groups overview visible for all members and non members, and which shall not. I’m super excited to see you’ve done some great iterations on the Groups module later, now we’re just hoping for these two final ones so we can start using Groups, and I promise you we’ll use it for many use cases :)

Hello @Anitahg 

• About you point about the identity of private group members. The only place where you can see those members if you are not a member yourself is on the groups overview page. We will display a few icons that on hover can show some information as such. However on the groups details page, nothing is shown. 

• If you would like to have the information completely hidden, that would be hidden groups. There is this idea about it and it is one of the top ideas we would like to implement for groups.
  • This notion of hidden groups is very tided to the ability to have visibility setting for groups. We want to give you the choice to decide which users gets to see a groups based on their roles (for example logged in users, ...). This is also something we are investigating at the moment. 

Hi @Marion Frecaut thanks, yes we are aware that the identity of private group members is only visible on the groups overview page for non members, but we can’t have their identity visible on the groups overview page, either. Looking forward to the revamped private groups section, where a private group is truly private. I understand you can not give a timeline, but can you say if it would be on the short term or long term roadmap? 

Was anyone who referenced trying for a Zapier zap able to set this up successfully? I’m looking at available inSided triggers and don’t see a group join request available as an option. 

I’m trying to create a Slack post for every new Private Group join request that comes in. 

@adam.ballhaussen @Scott Baldwin tagging you since you both mentioned Zapier in earlier comments.