Solved

Is the 'Answered by peer' metric fit for purpose for established communities?

Userlevel 1
Badge
Discussion point here:

For an established community with heaps of content, is the Analytics sections' 'Answered by peer' metric a suitable one?

This will only look at new questions, and the source of the answer. But as time goes on, surely the % of activity which can be considered a 'new question' drops. More and more activity would be comments on existing topics, or be merged onto existing topics as the question has already been asked before. Peer to peer support might not be dropping, but this metric will imply that it is.

What alternatives can an established community use to track peer to peer? Are post fields the answer?
icon

Best answer by Pascal 29 May 2019, 11:27

View original

3 replies

Peer to peer support might not be dropping, but this metric will imply that it is.

Hi Tim! Interesting discussion. I was wondering why you think the metric will imply that peer-to-peer support will be dropping. If topics are merged, or removed, they are not taken into account for the calculation. That only looks are new questions and whether the marked answer has been provided by another user.

I would argue that the longer your community is live, and the more peers are active, the higher the chances that a peer will provide an answer to a new question.

What are you thoughts?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would argue that the longer your community is live, and the more peers are active, the higher the chances that a peer will provide an answer to a new question.

Very good point, Pascal - anything merged won't be counted as an answered question, so this won't effect peer to peer metric.

One thing that will happen is that (in theory) the volume of peer to peer 'best answers' might drop. There will always be new issues that need new answers I suppose. But it looks like post fields is the only way to track peer to peer on existing content, which might make up a greater % of activity as more and more topics are created, answered and duplicated.

Whenever a user replies to another user with advice, do we not want that to count as peer to peer, whether it's marked as a best answer or not.....? 🤓
Whenever a user replies to another user with advice, do we not want that to count as peer to peer, whether it's marked as a best answer or not.....? 🤓

I completely agree with this, and indeed Post-Field would be the way to go for measuring this.

Personally I'm a huge advocate of Post-Fields and the insights they can bring, however, we've seen that the workload it can put on moderators can be an issue. So it requires well-defined procedures on what to log and why.