How To Manage The Status Of A Topic (With Moderation Labels)

• 6 February 2018
  • 7 replies

Need a simple way to view and update the status of a topic across your moderation team? Use Moderation Labels to mark the status of topics in order to support your moderation workflow and ensure that it’s more ‘flow’ than ‘work’.

For instance, you could use an ‘Open’ label to communicate that a topic needs to be reviewed by a moderator, or an ‘Escalation’ label to mark that a topic/question needs serious attention as soon as possible.

How To Manage The Status Of A Topic (With Moderation Labels)

1. Go to a topic in Control.
  2. Under the Details pane, click the Label you want to apply to the topic.
  3. You’re done! All moderators can now see this label on the topic, and you can filter by the label to find it again later.

Related Reading:

:gear:  Tips, Tricks, and Technical Bits:

• Moderation Labels must be manually added to topics.
  • Be mindful when changing a label (just imagine the bad vibes you’d generate if you labelled a topic ‘Archive’ when you meant to label it ‘Escalation’; the result would be that no moderator would respond to one of the most urgent topics on your community).
  • The neighbouring ‘Status’ field communicates similar (automatically-generated) information to your moderation team. If the ‘Status’ contains ‘New Topic’, or shows the number of new replies in green, it means that nobody from your team has read the topic.
  • Regular community members can’t see Moderation Labels - they’re only visible to moderators.
  • Need to change the status of lots of topics at once with Moderation Labels? Get the job done faster by using our Bulk Actions feature to change multiple labels at once.

7 replies

Hi Frank, i'm a bit confused by the moderation labels.

You say  be careful with the labels because of confusing memebers, but also 💎 Regular community members can’t see Moderation Labels - they’re only visible to moderators.

I don't get the viability🤔
Hi Frank, i'm a bit confused by the moderation labels.

You say be careful with the labels because of confusing memebers, but also 💎 Regular community members can’t see Moderation Labels - they’re only visible to moderators.

I don't get the viability🤔

Hey Tanja,

You're right - the risk is more to do with upsetting/angering customers.

Let me reframe the warning in a clearer way:

• Suppose you have a topic from an upset customer.
  • In Control, you accidentally label this topic 'Archive' when you meant to label it 'Escalation'.
  • The topic receives no attention from any of your moderation team, when it should receive the most.
  • This leads to one very unhappy customer.

So in this situation, although the customer can't see that you mistakenly labelled their topic as 'Archive', they'll definitely suffer the effect of your (hypothetical) mistake.

I hope that's clearer 🙂
Ahh super clear! Thanks😁

I already use this system with my moderators via de 'moderator tags'.
Hi,

We are using labels for several purposes and it would be great if we could select more than one label at a time. Could you make it possible ?

In your example, how do you do if you want to define that the topic is about "Customer" + defined as "Escalation" ?

Regards,

Tiou
Hi Tiou,

You've an interesting point, but we won't be making it possible to add a second label. The label is supposed to be used to easily see the current status of a topic, so having a second label could confuse this. My advice would be that customer should not be used as a label but as a moderator tag instead.
OK, thanks for your input.

Does it make sense to add a “solved” label in the moderator label option? Otherwise, is there a better way to see which topics are solved, which are waiting for a product team, which are just totally new and need an answer, or which just have a new reply?