How To Edit a Badge

• 5 December 2017
  • 14 replies

Suppose you’ve completely changed your mind about one of your badges. It happens. You found a gif that expresses your original badge idea in ways you couldn’t possibly have imagined. Luckily, it’s really easy to edit an existing badge.

How To Edit Badges

1. Go to ControlGamificationBadgesEdit.
  2. Change as many details of the badge as you’d like (the rules, the image, anything!)
  3. Save your changes.

Changing the rules or activity status of the badge won’t remove the badge from any community members who’ve already received the badge.

14 replies

Badge
I'm having a lot of fun with this functionality :)

Will an option to remove badges be added?
@Jurgen Groovy to hear you're having fun with it!

The option to remove badges isn't currently planned - a similar functionality we've considered is to make it possible to filter the list of badges by whether the badge is active or not.
Hi! It's me again! 🤓

Badges have been moved under control, but for some reason we cannot see the settings for our current badges.

Our backend gives the following notification:

Is there a work around?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi! Happy to see you again! :D

So this message usually is being displayed when you attempt to edit an old Badge:

Back in the days (like unitl two years ago I think) we had "custom Badges". These were very flexible, we were able to set up the rules in a very specific way (e.g. give a Badge if someone replies in 5 topics in 10 minutes).

The "problem" with these Badges was that you were not able to change anything about the rules of these Badges - as they were custom one of our developers had to set them up / change them individually. This was annoying for everyone as inSided had to invest a lot of hours for these changes, and as a customer you might had to pay for additional changes / new Badges.

So with our new self-service Badges you are now able to create/edit/delete Badge rules yourself, however due to the nature of the "old" Badges the actual rules still cannot be edited.

Do you know when these Badges actually have been created? If they were new Badges (younger than two years) you should be able to edit them, if they are older the message is right. 😕
Hi Julian,

This explains a lot! 😄 Sounds like it's time for some self-service Badges.
Badge
Hi @Julian!

So our community has been with InSided since 2016 and 5/7 of our badges are "legacy". Is there any way to change their settings? I might be interested in for example editing the mail notifications 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey!

Well, as these Badges have been implemented by a developer, every change to these Badge rules would also require a developer to get this done.

Of course you could also deactivate such a legacy Badge and then re-create a similar Badge with the current rules offered in the tool.

I am not sure how my colleagues would tackle this, as this is a change request and not something we have done in a while...

Maybe you can send this as a request to support - they will be able to tell you if and how this could be done. 🙂
Badge
Thanks @Julian!

I suppose Support can export these rules for me, as I do not remember them?

🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hey Suvi,

yes, sure, they will be able to do this for you! 🙂

@Julian How can I delete badges?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

It is unfortunately not possible to delete Badges: If you don't want to use a Badge, it is best to “deactivate” a Badge by setting it to "manual”.

As far as I remember, deleting Badges was not added as deleting Bades from this page would also result in deleting the Badge from all users that received it. This could damage your user sentiment and be a challenge for you to restore. But maybe @daniel.boon can add some more background to this.

Do you have a lot of Badges which were never used and they are now clogging up your list? Then the support team should be able to help you and get them deleted completely.

Badge

I think deleting badges is absolutely a valid use case, even if you’re going to remove it from users who received it (as long as you communicate well to these users).

It’s also possible to manually revoke badges from individual users. We haven’t prioritised deleting badges since usually the workarounds are enough (make the badge manual), but it’s something we’d like to get around to eventually!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for clarifying! :)

I don't have a lot of badges I was just cleaning up a few old ones :)